Saying simply "hello" in Irish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a less formal greeting, "hi" has been 'borrowed' into the language, its pronounced the same as English and spelt "hóigh". Personally I like "aon scéal"

Here, here??:confused:

More like "Eist, eist!!"

Ceart??

Gabh mo leithscéal! I was just being silly, just adding a light note, not at all suggesting it was accurate, in fact, I would have been surprisee if it had been. The likes of myself is doing well to be even making an effort. But, again, I've learnt something new! Cheers! :)

Is eist not 'listen', rather than 'hear', defintely nothing to do with 'here'! :)
Yeah, I though it might be "clois, clois!", but it doesn't sound right. Maybe a Gaelgeoir anorak can answer. [probably going to bring down the wrath of all Gealgeoiri for that!]

Paddy Short has the best - Das riht!

In Bavaria and Austria they use Gruss Gott "Greetings of God" (or something like that).

I had never heard that - is it the standard greeting though or just a possible greeting?
Fairly standard in the parts of Austria around Salzburg I've been in, eg it's the first thing a shop assistant/waiter would say when you come enter. Friends say ot to each other too.
In Switzerland, they say the same, I think (?), just in dialect "greutzi"

Yeah, I though it might be "clois, clois!", but it doesn't sound right. Maybe a Gaelgeoir anorak can answer. [probably going to bring down the wrath of all Gealgeoiri for that!]

Paddy Short has the best - Das riht!

Ha Ha! I like that!

'Cén scéal' or 'Aon scéal' is what I use meself but I'm a Dub which is more from the 'What's the story' or 'Story'
Yeah, I though it might be "clois, clois!", but it doesn't sound right.
'Maith thú' is regarded as the nearest match.

Probably no direct translation.
I would have used "Aontaím leat", if I was being serious about it. "Tá an ceart agat" Something like that...

There is no direct translation of hear hear that I'm aware of. As regards Dia Duit and its use as a standard greeting, this is down to development of the language. Consider it in the same way as the word gay, which has a different meaning today than it did 50 years ago.

Religious phrases feature heavily as part of Irish for many reasons. Our culture developed separately to most of Western Europe because of our position as an island nation. Language and religion were also closely linked during the struggle for independence.

As an Irish speaker, I have to say that I'm mildly offended at suggestions we should consider changing the use of Dia Duit to the equivalent of good day, because its "inappropriate". I disagree. In my view it is highly inappropriate to suggest a change to the language simply because society has become more secular over the years or because it might cause offense to someone. Cultural differences and traditions should be respected, rather than eroded, unless they impinge dramatically on others.

Religious phrases feature heavily as part of Irish for many reasons. Our culture developed separately to most of Western Europe because of our position as an island nation. Language and religion were also closely linked during the struggle for independence.

In my view it is highly inappropriate to suggest a change to the language simply because society has become more secular over the years or because it might cause offense to someone. Cultural differences and traditions should be respected, rather than eroded, unless they impinge dramatically on others.

There is a terrific amount of differences which have changed in the last 50 years, no more evident than in the religious circumstances. The Ryan report has given the Nation an embarrassing CV of how we conducted ourselves and in case you were unaware the people wanted change and apology. For many this has been too late and meaningless.

Unfortunately the main reason why Gaeilge has maintained some use in a number of pockets and areas is the present Minister has hurled heaps of money at some specific areas.(of his choice only) The love of the language (although my own personal thoughts are of its social beauties and social characteristics) is a far long memory of the forgotten Irish Culture.

As an Irish speaker, I have to say that I'm mildly offended at suggestions we should consider changing the use of Dia Duit to the equivalent of good day, because its "inappropriate". I disagree. In my view it is highly inappropriate to suggest a change to the language simply because society has become more secular over the years or because it might cause offense to someone.

Nobody is saying this. I mentioned 'not always appropriate' meaning it may not always suit the situation/exchange - not necessarily anything to do with secularism.

I'm not advocating changing anything, just enquiring if there was an alternative and am surprised to find that there doesn't seem to be.

Only dead languages don't evolve.

edit: Sorry, forgot about French... so, Excepting French, living languages evolve...

There is a terrific amount of differences which have changed in the last 50 years, no more evident than in the religious circumstances. The Ryan report has given the Nation an embarrassing CV of how we conducted ourselves and in case you were unaware the people wanted change and apology. For many this has been too late and meaningless.

I am quite aware of this. However, I fail to see any connection between the Ryan report and the circumstances which led to it and the Irish language. The linkages between Irish and religion, as evident in some phrases, date back hundreds of years - not 50. Issues with the modern church have no bearing on the language.
I agree with your point about the current Minister. I'm not advocating throwing money at language projects, especially at the moment.

As regards an alternative to Dia Duit as a greeting, it seems to me that use of this phrase is dwindling among Irish speakers. In my experience, the use of Dia Duit is now only common in formal settings and is not used as much as an informal greeting between friends and acquaintances. Terms such as Conas atá (tú)/ Cad é mar atá tú are more common as greetings and the word Hi, which is spelled háigh, is now accepted as part of the language. This is part of the development of the language.That said, I wouldn't use it in an exam, as the Dept of Education tends to be a fair bit behind in terms of the "caighdeán" or "official" language.

Yoganmahew made a comment that only dead languages don't evolve. This isn't the case with Irish. The growth in the number of Gaelscoileanna outside of traditional Gaeltacht areas in recent times is leading to a new dialect. While die-harders might sneer at it (and do), nonetheless it is evidence of how the language continues to change and develop. If Irish was a dead language, mobile phone operators would not be introducing text services as Gaeilge;

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/media/press/show/BAU004654.shtml

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1106/phone.html

Nor would social networking sites such as facebook provide an Irish version;

http://ga-ie.facebook.com/

I agree with your point about the current Minister. I'm not advocating throwing money at language projects, especially at the moment.

But he has done. How much was wasted in changing place names to Irish instead of showing both As Bearla agus As Gaeilge. And if you would like me to extend the list of waste I will.

The one single thing introduced a number of years ago was the introduction to 'Seachtain na Gaeilge'. This worked very well when it gave every Radio listener and TV viewer the small smidgens of Irish to bring into conversation. This cost a tiny amount of money but guess what ? Instead of extending a low cost method of developing Irish useage the entire project appears to have gone to ground, apart from schools.

Thanks for all replies.

As the question is pretty much answered I'll close this now before it gets into LOS territory.

If anyone really wants it kept open, PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back