Saving USD in Ireland?

gg66

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on options for depositing USD.

My wife has inherited some money from her uncle and has received a cheque in USD (about 37K USD).

She intends to lodge the money with NIB in a USD account as we don't want any more of our savings in euro.

Is this a good strategy to protect the money? I'm weighing up the fact that Ireland may revert to a punt and prepared to take a risk on USD to Euro fluctuation otherwise.

thanks in advance

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on options for depositing USD.

My wife has inherited some money from her uncle and has received a cheque in USD (about 37K USD).

She intends to lodge the money with NIB in a USD account as we don't want any more of our savings in euro.

Is this a good strategy to protect the money? I'm weighing up the fact that Ireland may revert to a punt and prepared to take a risk on USD to Euro fluctuation otherwise.

thanks in advance

anyone who would have bought dollars with their euro this time last year , would be weeping today , the euro has held firm despite everything and the dollar has been on a downward trojectory , i wouldnt touch the american dollar , i view currency speculation as much riskier than the likes of gold theese days

Yes, but the money is already in USD & converting to euro now may not be the best time. So, given uncertainty over euro is it not adviseable to keep it in the original currency?

Back