Sat Nav- best place to get a good deal?

Ok looking at which seems to be cheapest on Pixmania is there a big difference between the 3.3" screen and 4.3" there is about €50 diff is the bigger screen worth it?

...is there a big difference between the 3.3" screen and 4.3" there is about €50 diff is the bigger screen worth it?
I'll resist the urge to say the difference is about an inch ;)

It's roughly a 33% increase in size, so definatly a significant increase. It probably comes down to personal preference.

The decreased size can be handy (easy to throw in a pocket rather than leave in a glove box) but I'd personally go for the bigger size. 9 times out of 10 you'll just use the vocal directions (e.g. "in 100 meters turn left".. only one left turn ahead so no need to view the map) but it's the 1 in 10 where there are three different turns where you can be caught out. A quick glance at the screen can give a lot more information (e.g. it's the first of the lefts up ahead), but having a smaller screen will make this tougher to spot and potentially mean your eyes are diverted from the road for longer, increasing the risk.

Have a look at both in a shop if possible before buying online (or any similiar SatNav with 3.3" and 4.3" screens). Set them a distance which they will roughly be away from you in the car and see if you're happy with the smaller screen.

Saw an ad on TV3 last night for Halfords advertising 50% off all sat nav systems until Dec 17th. In store, not online from what I can gather.

make sure that it has MAPS loaded as a minimum and Bluetooth

Hi Home&away,

Yes, saw that advert as well which said "50% sale on ALL sat nav's". And yes all was in capital letters and underlined. Went in and one model garmin (which was sold out) and one route 66 and one navman model was all that was in the 50% sale. The other satnavs were in a different cabinet.

I consider this false advertising and plan to complain.

Just been onto halfords customer service in england and transferred twice, now waiting for a lady in customer service to call me back. She has just called me back and says that the advert says UP to 50% - but the advert outside the kilkenny store does not say UP to 50%. Unfortunately I won't get up to see it again for a few days (which I am sure they will have the sign changed by then).

Did anyone else see the advert or get to read the sign?

Last edited:
just bought a garmin with europen maps (which i needed) for 204 delivery included from pixmania

Bought 2 garmin 250s with bigger screen today €222 each from piximania how long did it take for you to get it?

Yep I saw the adds from Halfords and rang them up to be told only applied to a couple and the ones I were looking for were around €270

Just to update everyone on the hallfords 50% of ALL sat nav topic - went back into kilkenny last night and yes they have a big red sign which says up to 50% off - the sign at the weekend was ORANGE

pixmania seem to be the cheapest .... and they say orders in before the 20th will be delivered before christmas.

Well I got mine last sat - I had a quick play around with one. Where I live in South county dublin was not mapped - how up to date are the Irish maps?

[broken link removed] cheeper that most other sites, think they must have something to do with garmin themselves,

Back