Saorview Question

Holtend82

This is a question in relation to a bedroom tv. All i use to pick up chanels is rabbits ears. The tv is about 18 months old. Is all i need a box for saor view?
Thanks for any help.

Depends on the strength of the TV signal with the TV aerial, you may need an outside aerial.

Also, (not 100% sure when Saorview TVs came online so open to correction), as the TV is only 18months old, it might be saorview compatible already... so you might not need a separate saorview receiver.

This is a question in relation to a bedroom tv. All i use to pick up chanels is rabbits ears. The tv is about 18 months old. Is all i need a box for saor view?
Thanks for any help.

An 18 month old TV may well have an Mpeg4 tuner/decoder already built in.

What make/model is it?

I dont think its saorview ready, i think all saorview ready tv's came with a sticker. I am in a very build up area in a city so hopefully it should not be a problem. Outside aerial would be a PAIN!!

A lot of tv's over the last 5 years flat screens at least came with in built digital tuners.

As far as I am aware saorview is just a bunch of digital channels so your tv should be fine.

A lot of tv's over the last 5 years flat screens at least came with in built digital tuners.

As far as I am aware saorview is just a bunch of digital channels so your tv should be fine.

Not strictly true - there are a couple of types of digital tuners - from the Saorview site themselves -

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/

"There are some set-top-boxes and iDTVs on the market that may work with SAORVIEW or aspects of the SAORVIEW service. Consumers should be aware that the majority of UK “Freeview” boxes and iDTVs will not decode the SAORVIEW service and that unapproved receivers may not be fully compatible with all aspects of the SAORVIEW service."

Its not quite that straightforward.

Many such tvs will be compatible with the UK freeview standard definition system (mpeg-2).
The irish system is mpeg-4, so generally it won't work here. (a UK high def one would)

Try tuning it in if it is it will work and you will get the extra rte channels. I have indoor aerlial and use with tv and it picks up.

@partnership have you bought the saorview box so? What is the reception like with an indoor aerial ? What type of box did you get.

Back