Santry

i remember that hatchet story now......
couple of problem familys you said,how much of a problem are they???
do you live there yourself?

Yup, I live here still. The residents assoc is useless. Just a small group of neighbours do everything on our cul de sac.

pity bout the residents acc. been useless its a nice sized estate and wudnt be to hard to keep it well maintained.
i took a drive round it the other day and seems to be a lot of houses gettin work done which is a gud ting for the area. im goin to veiw a few houses up there soon.

pity bout the residents acc. been useless its a nice sized estate and wudnt be to hard to keep it well maintained.
i took a drive round it the other day and seems to be a lot of houses gettin work done which is a gud ting for the area. im goin to veiw a few houses up there soon.

You would do well to get a house here. My tip would be for you to look at one with 3 bedrooms and no extension. These have excellent potential because Fingal County Council relaxed the size limits on extending them. You can now build a double extension downstairs and increase the size of the bathroom by a few feet upstairs which is needed given the existing size. However, the Council is unhappy with ppl changing the shape of the roof (dunno why that is). There's houses in oak green and oak court that have had the front of the building changed. Go for it!

Actually just talking to a Garda today and one of the problem families is gone. They had about 8 kids between 12-18 and the parents seemed to go away a lot resulting in pot-parties, smashed windows and fist-fights.

While I paint a bleak picture most people are very peaceful and the area is maturing. The cul de sacs nearest the front road have calmed down because they were first occupied in 1986, so the kids have grown up and gone mostly. A good rule of thumb is assme that the kids happen 1-5 years within someone buying a house. neighbourhood now much more diverse in terms of ages of families and I'd say only about 1/10 houses are rented

hi,
when you talk bout the roof ur talkin bout the porches??
this is great info im a carpenter myself and ive done my limit on house im in now and i enjoy building extras yo my house attics etc i have seen there are sum velux windows fitted round the estate so im sure theres some room in the attics up there.?
ive seen sum are 4beds with downstairs toilet,the 3 beds dont have?
is there much difference in size ot 3/4 beds??
gud point bout most of problem teens are prob past there troublesum stage!!
i did get impression that was gud few rented by sum are very run down looking,although sum are kept very well.......

hi,
when you talk bout the roof ur talkin bout the porches??
this is great info im a carpenter myself and ive done my limit on house im in now and i enjoy building extras yo my house attics etc i have seen there are sum velux windows fitted round the estate so im sure theres some room in the attics up there.?
ive seen sum are 4beds with downstairs toilet,the 3 beds dont have?
is there much difference in size ot 3/4 beds??
gud point bout most of problem teens are prob past there troublesum stage!!
i did get impression that was gud few rented by sum are very run down looking,although sum are kept very well.......

Show me a housing estate without a few dingy houses. It's par for the course. Some people on oak lawn need to realise they should paint the outsides of their houses - those folks are owner occupiers so don't get led astray by the steroeotype about rented houses!

Yes, the difference b/t the 3 and 4 beds is subtile but significant. The upstairs are laid out differently and you are correct - they all have a cubby hole under the stairs and a downstairs loo.

When I was talking earlier I didn't mean porches. Id say most ppl have changed the old style of porch by now! I was talking about the upstairs and changing the pitch of the roof. Our builder was saying he'd want to raise the pitch a slight bit, but even 1mm of a lift requires Planning permission as you know. Look at those veluxes! The thing is an attic conversion isn't much good unless you can insert dormers, you know the bits that break up the roof slope and allow you more effective floorspace. And i haven't seen any, unless I'm blind. The other trick is to drop the upstairs ceiling about 4 inches. This goes below the fire regs minimum as these houses were built right at the limits in 1986 to save money.

Last edited:
hi,
of course after 20plus years you would expect somehouses to get a bit shappy,ur rite same in most estates.
would the four beds be much bigger?
the only way the attics would work without a dormer would be to put stairs up through centre of house not a major job either most times just means changing hotpress. this is because of style of roof, hip.
thats providing that there space up there to begin with!!! prob need ad least 7foot top of roof to joist.
goin try veiw one this week.....

hi,
of course after 20plus years you would expect somehouses to get a bit shappy,ur rite same in most estates.
would the four beds be much bigger?
the only way the attics would work without a dormer would be to put stairs up through centre of house not a major job either most times just means changing hotpress. this is because of style of roof, hip.
thats providing that there space up there to begin with!!! prob need ad least 7foot top of roof to joist.
goin try veiw one this week.....

And there's the problem, barely 7 feet in the middle...

i know what you mean,im veiwin a house tomorrow and goin stick my head up!!if there is 7foot for half width of house or more id say there could be a way!!
but you have done your homework so not expecting much up there...

i know what you mean,im veiwin a house tomorrow and goin stick my head up!!if there is 7foot for half width of house or more id say there could be a way!!
but you have done your homework so not expecting much up there...

Let me know what you find. I have just over 7 feet at the highest point which is the point that touches the neighbours wall. That height is maintained for about 4 feet and then slopes down dramatically. I'd look at doing it myself if we could get the dormer.

veiwed a 4bed,i was impressed with the size of house have to say.
anyway the attic
if your frount door is not beside ur side lane,(ur door and neighbours door side by side)
a stairs could be fitted easliey with out much disturbance to bedrooms.
the roof is a cut roof so prob get away without using steel so you dont loose head height. i agree it wount be a big room, dormer would really make it. but all the same it would be a grand office/study/playroom.
where the roof starts to slope after straight i would fit long velux 6foot or so,and a 4foot square over stairs.
this impression was on sticking my head up so some ideas could be incorrect.
but i would defo fit stairs up to attic and any room is a bonus thats my tinking on it...
the stairs would go directly over main stairs,the landing in them houses are plenty big(4beds anyway)

Now I get it Shane. You saw one of the two houses for sale on the Lawn. It seems they were some of the first built and even used diferent materials (e.g. look at roof-tile colours on google earth) and a different floor plan to the subsequent roads. Also some of the houses on the Lawn are 3 bed and others 4 bed. All the other roads are one or the other.

Hiya

Royal oak is better than eithert woodlown or Aulden Grange.
What bad reports did you hear? Im from Santry Close. Generaly the estates to the left of the M1 are nicer. Oak Park is a bit of a hip, maybe you heard about this.

Thinking of moving into the Santry area. Anyone know what the Aulden Grange or Woodlawn estates are like? Heard a few bad reports about Royal Oak but would welcome any opinions.

You kiddin'?

Hiya

Royal oak is better than eithert woodlown or Aulden Grange.
What bad reports did you hear? Im from Santry Close. Generaly the estates to the left of the M1 are nicer. Oak Park is a bit of a hip, maybe you heard about this.

I guess you meant kip, not "hip" ...If the latter, what on earth gave you that idea? Is it from more rumour? The only thing I was never happy about regarding the estate is that the houses/rooms are very small.

We are living here the last 28 years and if it had ever reached the stage of being a *kip, we'd have got the hell out. Like many other places where kids grew into teenagers, you'd have the few who went through a phase; meeting up for a drinking session on a weekend night. Some of their friends they drank with were not even from Oakpark.

Anyway, time went by and it fizzled out somewhat ...They were getting older - moving on!

Oakpark, thank God, was never a kip...No way we would have stayed here if it had turned into one.

Back