Santry

I agree with the other posts. In the 1km stretch of road between Swords Rd and ballymun Rd there are local shops, a top gym 2 hotels, top sports injury clinic, ols folks home, restaraunts, retail outlet park section, office blocks, future Metro, many different kinds of wildlife spotted all day, a lake, public parkland, athletics track and some of the quietest nights I have ever experienced since moving to Dublin.

Not many other areas of that size and proximity to town can boast any such facilities that are accessable on foot.

I would agree with Hoff in that if anything is going to be hit in the future it will be apartments more so than houses, only on this point do I see any fact in what he says based on the fact that the area is all apartments.

Hi,

thanks for all the advice. I would think that it is a good area as it will be very close to the proposed metro line which can only be a good thing. I am a little wary of very large residential areas klike Crowne Plaza but I will defo check it out anyway.

Just to retort with the indescretions of other AAM members i am an investor and legal consultant and still am but the preponderence of positive statements here has come from those that reside in the ballymun Hilton as the locals call it.
I am a member of the northwood club , its great ,LCD’s on every machine and no kids clubs messing up the gym. I was also a member of the boxing club near Dominic Street flats but I would not want to live there. Thats harsh but i am sorry the whole complex must have over 3000 units and multiples for sale,to let , the average developement is running at 50% tenancy and when they cant rent those they go to EHB. Also remember that 20% of the development is with Fingal CC (social) thats why they dropped objections when the plans went down as they own the parks in front of the development.I am sorry you guys do not want to hear the truth as you have vested interests but i know the market and this area inside out,i got in and out in Lymewood but looking at the prices now i would have lost half of that profit if i left it till now. Dont tell me you dont know that the mgt comp had problems with security firms taking the contract between stolen vehicles and attacks on security why do you think there is still a large security presence.
Look i am sorry you guys and girls are in the position you are but dont feed people BS when they are thinking of buying there, just drive around during the day and take a look , do you want to own one of those generic box's in a field in Ballymun?
By the way you would be better off applying for a property on the swords/ballymun rd as they where built by the fingal cc and are a great deal cheaper , if you dont mind living beside the boarded up versions beside Aldi.
You would be mad not to consider a house in Santry if you are prepared to live that close to popintree and ballymun, for not a great deal more you could have a far better investment and a garden too.

by the way the metro line will make it more accessable for people from the city centre as a cheaper alternative ??? be careful

Hi hasslehoff

I have to say well informed post, I think your last point sums it all up really- I have friends who have apartments and management and car
thefts are a problem in alot of apartment complexes and a house would be a better buy.. more bang for your buck....

Hasslehoff, I think you make some really valid points, I don't live in Northwood anymore and from your accounts there seem to be mgt issues - mind from talking to friends living in Dundrum/Sandyford in appartments that's not all that unusual. Also most complexes have a big mix of rented accomodation.

I agree a house is a better investment especially in the current market where the amount of appartments being built is astronomical, I think a house will hold it's own better in the longterm as most people will want to upgrade at some point. And it's fab to have a garden- Jeez if only we had the weather!!

The one thing I would disagree with you about is your choices of location, when we were moving we looked at houses "beside the boarded up versions beside Aldi" and I can tell you it was dog rough. Some of the houses were amazing value, but there was a real rough element around. We went down on a Saturday afternoon, and I was just like - no way!!

Of course it's all perception, you view Northwood as a nightmare spot, I can only speak from personal experience but I found it idyllic to live in. REALLY quiet and peaceful. Again only my perception, and I have no vested interest as I don't live there anymore.

I totally agree that buying a house in santry itself would be a fab investment, for the difference in price you certainly get a lot more property!!

Hoff, you are out by a factor of 3 on the amount of units in the area. there are about 1200 with 400 between carrington and Heywood nearly ready included. No where near 3k. Bad start to your point.

The security is not there out of necesity but out of a money making racket from the overall landlord. Many of the developmnets want rid of it as it is pointless and a needless expense. It is written into the leases and will exist so long as they wish it to. The security was required some years ago when most of the woods was just that, an empty woods and empty building sites to secure. As it has been developed and populated problems have naturally dissapated. The desire to retain a cash cow security service has not.

You would have lost half your profit getting in and out on any purcahse between last summer and now in most of Dublin. I too know the market very well also being a professional, with the other half working for a major EA in Drumcondra. 5 bed detacheds going for considerably less than the neighbour because they hung on longer.

Agreed as I said earlier a House will always be a better deal long term as I also agree take a drive through any time but you wont see any of what you seem to describe. I honestly cant see many better options to live in the immediate are if you do want an apartment.

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I drove out to the development and the Kilmore apts are pretty rough. Big concrete clocks with the ugliest hotel I have ever seen next door. I had a look at the Crown Plaza/ Northwood developments and they do look nice but I am not eager to buy an apt in a very large development - would prefer something smaller. I agree that a house would be a better buy but in order to afford one I would have to go further out of the city (Lucan/ Clonee/ Ballyfermot/ Fingals/ Balbriggan). I would really rather live neaerer the city but not sure which is the best thing to do. A house further out of the city or an apt nearer the city but in a not-so-great area/ development.

Hi Spillac Finglas is beside Santry and would be nearer the city than where you are looking.

Would you check out Premier Square - or Finglas village - McKee Ave has apartments.

I live near by in Finglas east and and that side of Finglas is very quite and surrounded by shops and the like...

There is also Cabra - a great area as well and near town - the thing is with most older city centre area you are looking at a house or a very small apartment complex .....

Houses and apartments in Santry are probably good value - this area is nice and quiet. What I mean by Santry is the area off the Swords Rd i.e. the village - near places like Omni, M1 interchange etc.

House in Ballymun that are called "Santry" by the estate agents may not be as good value as they are really suburbs of Ballymun.

The area around the proposed Metro, that is called Santry Woods or something similar, is Ballymun rather than Santry.

Its the usual Irish estate agent trick of pretending the development is in a better nearby area in order to get a higher price.

The area around the proposed Metro, that is called Santry Woods or something similar, is Ballymun rather than Santry.

Its the usual Irish estate agent trick of pretending the development is in a better nearby area in order to get a higher price.

The official address (verified with PO) is Northwood,Santry, Dublin 9

I'd consider anything that is further west than Trinity College sports grounds and book repository to be more in the sphere of influence of Ballymun village than Santry village.

I'd consider anything that is further west than Trinity College sports grounds and book repository to be more in the sphere of influence of Ballymun village than Santry village.
In fairness, that is making a slightly different point :)

I think you will find that Santry Woods was the site of an old Vicotorian Manor in the 1700s the Walled gardens remain.
Ballymun was but a field back then and as such Santry Woods pre dates even the existance of ballymun. It was the site of the largest house in North Dublin at the time.

It certainly is Santry, well only for the last few hundred years any way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santry. see here.

I think you will find that Santry Woods was the site of an old Vicotorian Manor in the 1700s the Walled gardens remain.
Ballymun was but a field back then and as such Santry Woods pre dates even the existance of ballymun. It was the site of the largest house in North Dublin at the time

Yes, this is correct. I'm wrong on the official name of the location, but would still think it is more under Ballymun influence than Santry village.

According to the PRTB published register of tenancies, there are over 200 registered PRTB tenancy properties in Northwood. It is likely that this is an undercount as various surveys in recent months have revealed that a very high percentage of tenancies are still not registered. I would worry about the transient nature of a development with such a high proportion of rental properties.

Always a good idea to check the PRTB register if you are buying a house or property anywhere.

Yes, this is correct. I'm wrong on the official name of the location, but would still think it is more under Ballymun influence than Santry village.

According to the PRTB published register of tenancies, there are over 200 registered PRTB tenancy properties in Northwood.

I would worry about the transient nature of a development with such a high proportion of rental properties.

200 in 1200 = 16% thats very low.

What do you mean under influence? how can you say the average young professional in NW is influenced by the average Ballymun resident?

Are you just out to get the area for no apparent reason, your points are either wrong and the ones that are right conflict your arguement as above?

Glasnevin North and areas of Finglas East, without a doubt, were renamed from Ballymun, Santry Woods however was always a very seperate place.

What in a name any way 10 years from now people wont know about Ballymuns long forgotten past any way. 5 years ago Hanover Quay was Pearse St and SPencer Dock Sherrif Street, people have short memories.

we just moved into royal oak a week ago, we'd been doing up the house house last few months, we had been living in north strand and can't get used to the silence! its so quiet! we've no kids on our road (Oak Lawn) and so far its great! really happy and its a nice sized house (we were in 3 bed terraced town house). Really hope their are no problems this thread scared me a little!
I've walked into work (city centre) last two mornings and its a nice walk althou taking an hour and 20 might try walk half bus half. Cool tool on shows you how far your walking/cycling co2 immissions saved by not driving and how long it should take.

so all tings concidered d royal oak estate is a gud place??
lookin at houses up der i noticed a lot af graffti only bad ting i noticed,and mayb sum housus r run down prob rented.
wud dub corpo. not clean graffti does any 1 know?

Yeah on balance its not a bad place to live but just a couple of points.

Royal Oak is in Fingal County (the border is located at Coolock Lane). As its a private estate the Council has no role in cleaning up grafitti - the job of the private owners of property to do so and its their lookout to make sure things don't get vandalised.

The estate is relatively peaceful, however, there is a problem with burgalries like the other girl said, especially tools getting robbed from sheds. There's also a lunatic who assaulted someone with a hatchet about 2 years ago living in one of the cul de sacs and a couple of "problem families" in Oak Court and Oak Drive. There was a murder in one of the rented houses in 2006 by a Lithuanian kid who stabbed another one and it made the newspapers.

A group of 15 youngsters always seem to get beer in the local Aldi and drink near the bridge over the Santry river on a friday night. Typical of a lot of housing estates in Ireland there are a lot of "unsupervised" areas where the houses are sideways looking at the open space/green space. This creates problems, and I've been involved in neighbourhood cleanups so I see the results (say no more)!

Back