Santry

Lulu123

Thinking of moving into the Santry area. Anyone know what the Aulden Grange or Woodlawn estates are like? Heard a few bad reports about Royal Oak but would welcome any opinions.

Thinking of moving into the Santry area. Anyone know what the Aulden Grange or Woodlawn estates are like? Heard a few bad reports about Royal Oak but would welcome any opinions.
I'm surprised to hear of bad reports about Royal Oak - I have relations living there who are very happy, although the houses are a bit on the small side. As with lots of relatively new developments, I think you can end up a bit car-dependent, but it's reasonably handy and possibly, though I couldn't swear to it, walkable, for shopping at Omni Park.

My sister has lived in Royal Oak since it was built... have never heard her mention trouble!

Aulden Grange is fine too, houses have ensuites which the Royal Oak ones do not, unless installed by owner. But the stretch of road outside the estate, Oscar Traynor road I think it's called, is constantly backed up with cars at peak times...I come off the M1 in the morning, and the roundabout is almost blocked with cars going towards Malahide Road direction. But then I suppose that's life these days.

I think Royal Oak is better positioned for transport in and out of city centre. Walking to shops in Omni is possible but could be back breaking if you're carrying a week's shop! It's circa 20 minutes from Omni to entrance to Royal Oak. There is a small newsagents around the corner of the estate, for milk and bread etc.

Last edited:
You may be confusing it with Oak park, although I dont believe that it is any different in terms of trouble. None in either

Living in Royal Oak for 6 years and never had a problem. Good family area, reliable and frequent bus routes, close to shops and the amenities are only improving with the new apartment developments in the Santry area.

I lived in royal oaks for 2 years. It's a big enough estate. I lived on oak green road, its at the back of the estate. The estate is a cul de sac but you can walk around the back to get the bus on the swords road. It's fine during the day but pitch black at night (Dodgy!)

It's full of young families and kids playing in the street. The houses are tiny. It can be a bit of a ghost town during the day, when the kids are at school.

I left the back door open one day, while i was in the house and some guy came over the back wall and into the house and robbed a handbag off the kitchen table, containing a set of car keys. My housemate actually saw him running off. He had to come over the back wall through the back garden of house behind mine, over there wall and out through there front garden.

There are no shops in the area. There is one down beside morton stadium but it closes very early (around 8 o clock). Although there is loads of new apartments now, so there might be more shops.

All in all, I liked the area and the handbag incident happens all over dublin!

Thanks for replaying, we have decided to move to the Shanowen area now. Just for the proximity to town and the fact that it will be near the metro stop at DCU.

Your right Royal Oak is not a dump but is troublesome and it can be hit and miss but i found the further in you go in the further down you go down.I owned a property there for a while but always had problems renting it out, plus the youngsters caused me so much grief.The estate next to it across from the Astro park ? well just ask Coolock Gardai its impossible to sell a house in there lots of drug problems, stay away.

Shanowen, Shanard,Shanliss, Shantalla, Lorcan are very nice and the Santry Gardai are **** hot just as good as Coolock .The area is established and has a great community spirit stay away from Ballymun end which has changed from high rise high density property to low rise high density property!!

You will pay more but in the long run you will be much happier

Hi,

does anyone know anything about Kylemore apartments on Santry Avenue. Looking at a place there this afternoon. What's the area like?

Santry Avenue
Is this Santry Lane????

If so - I think its OK, there is lot of redevelopment around there - even though its quite reote - there are a number of busses serviceing the road.. It wouldn't be the worst area in the world..

Hi,

It is at the top of Santry Avenue on the left if you were heading to the Ballymun side.

Hi I think we're talking about the same place, its OK - I do know people who have bought there with no problems - but to be honest I wouldn't myself.

If you are looking in that direction there are apartments near the crown plaza hotel (up the road from santry avenue)- really nice area - great surroundings..

Dont buy in Crown Plaza , tooooo many apartments , loads of problems , a quick drive through the facility will put you off as you witness the yard sale material on the balconies and resale value....ehh sorry but loads of social housing from the redevelopment of ballymun, if you add in the rental percentage coupled with the high density issues you have a right load of problems, IN the event of a down turn these apartments are a model for tomorrows tenaments.

please do not buy here, you cant get apartments cheap here but why is that you have to ask ??

Really - the last time we were there I was really impressed, as for the regeneration of Ballymun - that is the other isde of santry lane - I have a friend who baught there and are very happy - the way u describe it - the place sounds like beirut - from what I know of the area it appears really nice - well maintained and even though there are a good few block of apartments there is a huge green landscaped area....

Dont buy in Crown Plaza , tooooo many apartments , loads of problems , a quick drive through the facility will put you off as you witness the yard sale material on the balconies and resale value....

Really????? I just sold an appartment from Lymewood Mews in Crowne Plaza complex in December and made 95K on the purchase price in just over a year - don't think that's bad resale value in fairness. And it was a fab place to live!! Huge park on your doorstep, I loved it............just wanted to upgrade to a house, that was the only reason we moved.

Spillac, if you are looking at apartments on that road, I would personaly check out crown plaza over any other on that road..As with buying a place anywhere there will always be pros and cons from people - however drive around there at night - see what it is like - check out the whole area in general..
TBH crown plaza - would be my prefered end

Hi,

I've lived in Lymewood Mews, Northwood for the past year and a half as an owner occupier. In that time I've been very happy and have had no problems whatsoever in the area. In the whole development we've only ever had a problem with one apartment that was rented out but that matter was sorted within a couple of weeks. Most people in the complex are owner occupiers and therefore great interest is taken in the development and the area. I find the apartments and location really quiet compared to other areas we looked at before we purchased. We also keep in touch with the other developments in Northwood about different issues that may arise in the locality. To be honest any ads I've seen about apartments being rented in Northwood have specified "No EHB". Hasslehoff, do I assume that you are a resident in Northwood and have had bad experiences?

H

hasslehoff.....are you sure you are talking about Northwood? Yard sale materials? Such as....? I have never witnessed any of this, perhaps a bike or two but that is the same with any development...

'Loads of social housing from the redevelopment of ballymun' - I don't believe this is the case, where did you get that information from?

The area has a gym, will have a europspar going in soon, with other local services going in also..... Santry metro station is to be built close to the ballymun nortwood exit, so you can get into town in 15 minutes from the area....plenty of offices are going up so plenty of rental potential......to me if there is to be any major slowdown Northwood will be not hard hit....it is the houses that are 15 -30 miles from the City centre that will be hit, not apartments that are 6 miles from the city...

Back