Same house, different gardens - advice needed

B

Bangle

Two houses on the same road, both with south facing rear gardens. One is long and not overlooked, the other a third the size, weird shape and overlooked by at least two other houses. The second house is considerably cheaper (needs work).

Does anyone have advice on whether the size etc of a back garden is a major contributor in reselling? We can get the cheaper house to our liking for a lot less money, but will we suffer when reselling?

Many thanks,
B

I would imagine at any time the house with the bigger garden which is not overlooked by other houses would always be more valuable and of interest to a wider clientelle if/when you wish to resell.

Even for your own use, it would be much nicer to have a larger garden with no nosy neighbours overlooking!

You could assume that all future purchasers will be thinking exactly the same thoughts as you are now and weighing it up.
If you are willing to go with the cheaper option then maybe they will as well.
You must also consider that they may not have a choice of 2 at the time.
As pointed out though you will have to live in it in the meantime so the pleasure of the nice garden must be put in the equasion.

The size and location of neighbours in the second house is probably reflected in the cost of the second house (as well as the work needed)making it cheaper.

I would think it would be nicer to have a bigger and private garden but then you're paying for it.

You could take into account if the house is geared towards younger couples who might have little interest in maintaining a garden or a family where the garden might be more important.

Trying to predict future buyers is hard to do and to an extent alienates a proportion of the market.

As it will be your home, go with your own preferred house and what suits you best.

In several house moves over the years, privacy in the garden was very important to me. Remember that if the garden is overlooked, so might the kitchen, dining room, bedrooms etc.

I've finally got the perfect solution - I live in a bungalow with a railway track at the end of my garden. I'm now overlooked by the Enterprise! :)

You'll always have options with a long private garden which you may not have with the smaller one (several deck/patio areas, room to build, etc etc).

hey gipiman! How do you find living close to the railway line? Im building a house at the moment that has a railway line not too far away! Its not too bad at the moment as the line is currently disused but there is talk of re-opening it again! I hope its not too big an issue, id say that i am about 30-40 meters away from it and it runs at the side of my house!

Back