"Sale" price

"The price seen should be the price paid"
I don't like this slogan from the ODCA either but for a different reason. It is open to misinterpretation.

I dislike it because the slogan by itself suggests prices displayed on goods are legally binding,whereas they are only invitations to treat.

Marion

DonKing said:
I was in DID(Lucan) recently and they had the word "Sale" all over everything but they didn't display the original pre-sale price. I found this very frustrating. I complained but they guy in the shop wasn't particulary interested.

I don't believe there is necessarily an obligation to show anymore than one price (the current price) in this situation.

DID sell goods so all their goods are for sale. The big red sale sign gets customers into the shop. The sale sign in itself does not imply that the goods have been reduced in price, only that they are for sale.

That's always been my understanding.

Seen in a sports shop runners before xmas 85E nothing else stated then after xmas same runners now 80E reduced from 120E

oulu said:
Seen in a sports shop runners before xmas 85E nothing else stated then after xmas same runners now 80E reduced from 120E
If that is in breach of the rules as stated on the ODCA site linked earlier then you should make a complaint about it.

I had presummed that DID were not legally obliged to show the pre-sale price so I haven't bothered to complain to the relevant authorities. I may complain to their head office and let them know that I would be reluctant to buy anything else from them during their "SALES" or at any other time for that matter.

On another note, something which I have seen in Superquinn over the last few months which annoys me, is that they state the price for one item and also have a bigger price banner stating a price for a multiple number of these items. You would presume that you are getting a better deal if you buy the multiply amount but if fact it's the exact same price.

I had my ten buns in the bag, when I double checked the price and was disgusted to see this! I complained at customer service and gave them back the buns.

I don't regularly do the shopping so maybe everybody is aware of this little trick except me?

DonKing said:
You would presume that you are getting a better deal if you buy the multiply amount but if fact it's the exact same price.
Why would you presume that to be the case...
I had my ten buns in the bag, when I double checked the price and was disgusted to see this! I complained at customer service and gave them back the buns.
... or be disgusted by it?! At least you exercised your right not to purchase if you were not happy although I don't really see that there are reasonable grounds for complaint here myself.
I don't regularly do the shopping so maybe everybody is aware of this little trick except me?
Sometimes multipacks are actually dearer per item than buying individually. Caveat emptor.

Sometimes multipacks are actually dearer per item than buying individually. Caveat emptor

I could tolereate a higher price for a multipack (I'm thinking of apples/oranges multipacks here) as there is an extra cost for packaging. However what I am referring to is where the customer is encouraged to buy multiple numbers of individual items, such as the ten buns which I had to select individually and place in the bag.

I think it's reasonable to believe that if a shop is advertising/displaying a price for bulk amounts of indvidual items then there is some price discount over just buying one individual item. I think Superquinn are exploiting this belief. I don't think SQ are doing it to help customers with their arithmetic!

DonKing said:
I think it's reasonable to believe that if a shop is advertising/displaying a price for bulk amounts of indvidual items then there is some price discount over just buying one individual item.
I don't see how one follows from the other to be honest. One should always check the prices of individual or multiple items. Signs inviting customers to stock up on multiples of items imply nothing about price or discounts.
I think Superquinn are exploiting this belief. I don't think SQ are doing it to help customers with their arithmetic!
I don't see how Superquinn are exploiting anything or anybody here to be honest.

oulu said:
The real question is were they on sale at the higher price for at least 28 successive days in the previous three months.

Well it's quite common for sellers to give discounts on bulk purchases. In my professional life I always look for bulk discounts for multiple purchases from suppliers and usually get them.

I think it's logical/reasonable to expect a discounted price over the single item price if a supplier advertisies a price for a bulk amount. If one of our suppliers did what Superquinn do, then I can tell you they wouldn't be supplying us for too long.

Anyhow you're entitled to your opinion.

DonKing said:
Well it's quite common for sellers to give discounts on bulk purchases.
Well, as I mentioned earlier sometimes bulk packs are actually dearer than buying the same number of items individually. And you stated that you don't find this unacceptable.
I think it's logical/reasonable to expect a discounted price over the single item price if a supplier advertisies a price for a bulk amount.
Following on from the previous point I don't think that this necessarily follows and one always needs to exercise discretion when making any purchase and apprise oneself of the price and comparable prices.

I can accept a "bulk pack" being more expensive than buying the same number individually because you are getting added value. Apples for instance come in trays nicely wrapped in celophane. The celophane keeps insects and dirt at bay and the tray is handy for storage.

You haven't made any arguments which have changed my opinion. I think we'ill have to agree to differ on this one.

DonKing said:
You haven't made any arguments which have changed my opinion. I think we'ill have to agree to differ on this one.
Fair enough. I just don't see that there are any reasonable or valid grounds for complaint, never mind "disgust", on the part of a shopper where a retailer has a sign saying "10 buns for €x" where one bun costs €x / 10.

Hi,

just to let everyone know that I spoke to the shop manager and she agreed that this should not have happened and that it must have been a wrong tag scanned (hhhhmmmm) and I got a refund.

surely this sign means absolutely nothing. if you take this literally, then everything and all in a shop, sale or no sale, is sold as seen. according to the sale of goods act the retailer must have an obligation to point out the defects.

Just tuned in to this link this evening so am a bit behind on the opinions. Clubman, why would any store advertise in the manner that DonKing is referring to if it is not to sell more of a particular item. If a person wants 10 buns they will choose 10 buns so why put up a big sign? I think it is reasonable for anyone to assume that there must be a saving there. You certainly give good advice re: checking the prices yourself but I think DonKing is certainly making a valid point. by discussing it freely here fewer of the unsuspecting amongst us will fall for this in the future

brokeparent said:
Just tuned in to this link this evening so am a bit behind on the opinions. Clubman, why would any store advertise in the manner that DonKing is referring to if it is not to sell more of a particular item. If a person wants 10 buns they will choose 10 buns so why put up a big sign? I think it is reasonable for anyone to assume that there must be a saving there. You certainly give good advice re: checking the prices yourself but I think DonKing is certainly making a valid point. by discussing it freely here fewer of the unsuspecting amongst us will fall for this in the future
I just disagree that a sign promoting multiple items necessarily implies that a discount applies. It would depend on the wording of the sign of course but in general I don't see the logic of assuming this.

Back