Sale of House fell through: Are there standard Solicitors Fees for this work?

A

Adtan

We have just been through a long drawn out attempt at selling a house.

This involved a lot of consultation with our solicitors regarding the papaerwork required by the potential buyers solicitor (extremely complicated regarding the information on the deeds).

Unfortunately the sale fell through and we just received a letter today from the solicitor asking us to contact them regarding payment for works done.

I don't have a problem with paying a certian fee as a lot of work was done on our behalf but I was wondering if there is any way in which we can check if there is a standard fee for this type of work?

Apologies for this being long-winded!

Re: Solicitors Fees

Get an itemised invoice and post the details here for people to comment perhaps?

Not a bad idea, I was planning to contact them tomorrow to discuss it further, so may have more info then.

I presume the firm sent you out an initial letter setting out an estimate of their fees - what info did they give in this? You might look to pro rate against this if it was a fixed fee with no caveats .

Re: Solicitors Fees house purchase

I am currently in the process of negotiating the purchase of a house and applying for mortgage. I also need a solicitor. What fees do they usually charge. I have rang one or two who wont commit to a set fee and that worries me?

Can anyone recommend a reasonable solicitor or even tell me how much I should expect to pay. I would imagine they are not as busy as before and therefore not as greedy!

"I would imagine they are not as busy as before and therefore not as greedy!"

They do say that if you can fake sincerity, you'll do fine. So be sure not to let these solicitors know that you think them greedy.

If you can instead fake an attitude of being a consumer who is perfectly willing to pay a fair fee for a decent service and who expects the same attitude from a solicitor, you should have no trouble getting a quote.

You should be able to get a quote from any solicitor, make sure you do and then agree to use them in case they do overcharge in the end. I rang around a few solicitors for prices before I bought my house and all were able to give a price over the phone, I chose then and got the quote in writing.
I was told aroyund 2k or less when buying a new house as there are no searchs required and maybe 2500 for a second hand house but this would vary I'm sure.

Searches are required when buying a house.

There are a lot of previous threads on this on AAM.

The Solicitor is required to give a written quote of his/her costs and outlay for the transaction.

You should be able to get a quote from any solicitor, make sure you do and then agree to use them in case they do overcharge in the end. I rang around a few solicitors for prices before I bought my house and all were able to give a price over the phone, I chose then and got the quote in writing.

But its also worth noting that such a quote is redundant if there are unforeseen complications, eg

... a lot of consultation with our solicitors regarding the papaerwork required by the potential buyers solicitor (extremely complicated regarding the information on the deeds).

Back