Sale agreed estate agent asking for more

ClubMan said:
Isn't splitting contracts between house and contents in order to avoid (evade?) stamp duty illegal or at least questionable?

Definitely very questionable and my understanding is that Revenue look very closely at sale prices very close to the threshold especially if there is a sniff of someone trying to limbo dance under the duty threshold.

Roy

Especially a FTB who mysteriously buys for exactly €316,000 . Revenue has a scheme in the pipeline to claw some of this money back but not till after the election (and peak SSIA frenzy) in the first half of next year.

The reason they are not pushed is because the Revenue can charge interest and penalties if they catch the FTB out in 2009 or 2010 when the government needs the cash so they kinda cannot lose .

But they have a list, quite a large one I hear, and they will act in time. They may do it as early as around April next year to help dampen what will be a bloody frenzy as the market hits its absolute top

2Pack said:
Especially a FTB who mysteriously buys for exactly €316,000 . Revenue has a scheme in the pipeline to claw some of this money back but not till after the election (and peak SSIA frenzy) in the first half of next year.

The reason they are not pushed is because the Revenue can charge interest and penalties if they catch the FTB out in 2009 or 2010 when the government needs the cash so they kinda cannot lose .

But they have a list, quite a large one I hear, and they will act in time. They may do it as early as around April next year to help dampen what will be a bloody frenzy as the market hits its absolute top

I hope they have all the people that owe them the stampduty clawback on their 1st property or the investor stampduty on their alleged owner occupied 2nd property on that list aswell !

It's definitely illegal. From Certificate 8A required for residential property transactions

It is hereby certified that the consideration (other than rent) for the sale/lease is wholly attributable to residential property and that the transaction effected by this instrument does not form part of a larger transaction or of a series of transactions in respect of which the amount or value, or the aggregate amount or value, of the consideration (other than rent) which is attributable to residential property, or which would be so attributable if the contents of residential property were considered to be residential property, exceeds €127,000 / €190,500 / €254,000 / €317,500 / €381,000 / €635,000.

2Pack said:

I could never understand why the Revenue never chased this. It would be easy enough to unearth. My brother was willing to do same but his solicitor refused and he lost the house a while back, same houses are now well in excess - that is what one is up against.

Back