Sale agreed buyer: could cohabitant partner impact mortgage drawdown/closing?


New Member

I've just gone sale agreed to purchase a home and am anxious to get things over the line. The mortgage approval is in my own name as a single person. I have a cohabiting partner who will also be living there but is not involved in any way with this transaction or its financing.

It's currently in our best interests to keep finances totally separate as they are self-employed and have been working through financial constraints (reducing a huge pile of debt) for some time. Their financial situation should be resolved within the next 24 months or so, after which point we'll revisit shared ownership, and I have no concerns about future issues of asset division.

My only worry is whether anything might impact mortgage drawdown or closing, e.g. any documentation that might ask about a cohabitant or add extra steps to the process? The mortgage application itself only asked for civil/marital status and did not ask about a cohabitant. I'm aware that there will be a Family Home Declaration Act to sign at the solicitor but isn't that only to declare that I have no spouse or civil partner?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)
No impact whatsoever. The mortgage provider won't know they exist and they've no legal claim to the property unless you get married.
Should a relationship go south or a partner passes away, partners in cohabiting couples can have claim against property/pension etc. after 5 years or 2 years if there is a child.

Redress scheme for cohabiting couples​

If you have been living with your partner and your relationship ends, you may be able to avail of the Redress scheme for cohabiting couples. The aim of the redress scheme is to protect a financially dependent member of the couple if the long-term cohabiting relationship ends (either through death or separation).
Under the redress scheme, cohabiting couples can get similar orders from the court as are available to married couples when they separate or divorce if the court is satisfied that one of you was financially dependent on the other. The types of orders you may apply for under the redress scheme include property adjustment orders, maintenance orders and pension adjustment orders.
To apply for court orders under the redress scheme, you must be a qualified cohabitant. This means you must have been:
  • Living together in an intimate and committed relationship for at least 5 years, or
  • Living together in an intimate and committed relationship for 2 years if you have had a child with your partner
You must apply for these orders within two years of your relationship ending, unless there are exceptional circumstances. The rules of the scheme are set out in the Cohabitants are defined in the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010.