Sale Agreed 4 months but now all looks in jepoardy.

Mixednuts

Hi,

It seems the worst that could happen this deal has just come true.
We went sale agreed on a property 4 months ago.
Sold our own place pre Christmas after agreeing a contract date from vendor for the move to happen at the end of Feb.(they needed extra time- we had no problem with this) and myself, wife and kids got temporary accom in the interim period.

No EA involved and all done privately.

So massive deposit paid within 2 day of going sale agreed, and contracts "supposedly" signed within 2 weeks of going sale agreed.

So here is how its panned out....
Over the past 12 weeks a problem came up about the planning permission on the extension. Nothing major just never finished what was granted, but everything in structurally sound.
There was some problems with the vendor agreeing to pay more money on extra reports etc (long story) but we eventaully got all boxes ticked and completed last Friday.
But the vendor was making noises on Friday about still not being ready to get out by end of Feb, and i expressed my concern with this as I have been very generous up to now with giving them the 4 months etc
He (vendor) now cannot be contacted and ignoring all texts and phone calls.
I think he wants out of this agreement to sell as he really doesn't want to rent til something comes on the market that he can buy.

I called my solicitor and asked all is in order with the contracts are that we are bound, right?

Well maybe not !:(

It seems that we signed our side, sent it over to them and they never sent a copy back. THAT WAS OVER 8 WEEKS AGO !!

I asked my solicitor how this could happen and he said they might have been holding off until the planning issue was resolved.
The vendor did say they had signed whilst talking on the phone a number of weeks ago, and I have a text from him on the same day saying he was on the way to sign.

My solicitor is now contacting them to find out the status of the contract.

Where do I stand...

• If they have not signed their half
  • If they have signed but haven't exchanged contracts with me
  • I have a massive deposit with them for over 3 months now..does that stand for anything.
We are up the wall now waiting on news/resolution.

sorry about the long post.

Sorry for your trouble. I would be none to happy with my solicitor letting 8 weeks go by without checking up on the contract.

I would imagine you are entitled to your deposit back anyway which should be with the vendor's solicitor. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Back