Salary quandry: Dollars or Euros?

Wildone

Hello all,

Today I was lucky enough to receive the good news that I am getting a payrise. My dilema however is that I have just been moved to South America (from Dublin) and instead of receiving my salary in Euros (as before) my new salary is supposed to be paid in USDollars - from the same company. The boss has acknowledged my fears of receiving less income if the rate changes and has said that I can have the choice of the following:

Would readers consider it a more lucrative move to
  • open a dollar account and get paid into it (somewhere) OR
  • receive my salary in Euros for the following year based on todays rate?
    eg (not real figures!) USD100,000 = roughly €80,000 today and receive €80k per month instead of USD100,000 per month.
It is likely that I will be here in South America for 12 to 18 months but I intend to return to Ireland.
There are implications for PAYE that I hope to learn from other posts on this site.

Many thanks

Re: Salary quandry

I think it depends on the level of salary and savings you expect.

If your annual salary is €100k and you expect to save €40k, I would suggest that you get the €40 paid in euro. That is the currency which you will eventually spend or invest your savings in.

Your current expenditure over the next 18 months will be linked to the $, so you should get that bit paid in dollars.

Brendan

Back