SAGE Account for €99 - any good?

O

onmyown

Folks

I am starting up by myself as an independent IT consultant. I have a rudimentary knowledge of accounts but I want to implement a system so I can manage all my incomings and outgoings in a professional manner.

I have heard the special offer for the above on the radio and was wondering if
(a) Is the package any good i.e. can it do all that would be required of a self employed person keeping track of their accounts?
(b) Would the records held within SAGE be good enough for revenue purposes, e.g. auditing etc.
(c) Is it easy to use for a non accountant like myself?
(d) Any advise on any other packages to use or avoid?

Thanks

Hi

I would think that Sage would be far too much for your requirements.

Something like the Big Red Book would be much more suitable.

Brendan

Thanks

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the reply. Is the Big Red Book easy to use? Just worried that a lack of accountacny knowledge will scupper me.

Thanks

Sage

Have to disagree with Brendan
Sage is easy to use, can expand with the company and is much more reliable than Big Red Book, also at €99 is a steal

Regardless of which package you use I would have assumed that you would need to understand at least the basics (e.g. of bookkeeping, maybe P&L and balance sheets etc., payroll etc.) in order to use it productively - i.e. the package is only a tool and just like Word won't write your documents for you an accounts package won't magically do your books/payroll for you either...?

Hi,

Just wondering where its available for €99 from?

EB

Sage

Hi Blank

I understand the basics so simply want something to automate the process, rather than keeoign everything in an Excel spreadsheet etc.

EstorilB
On the radio the offer is to ring Sage untli the 15th September. However I do not see the same offer on their website

Thanks for all the feedback

Think through what you want to do..........

The cost of your accounts system is much much more than the cost of the program.

Expect to have to put in days & days & days setting the thing up............ ( as an IT consultant you sould have a good idea of the value of a day :D )

We ditched Pegasus for Sage and then changed to TAS ( good till some time after Sage bought them out ).

We now use Quickbooks ( very good and neat integration with other programs )

Back