Safety of Anglo/AIB/BoI v the others?

RMCF

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question.

As we have a bit of savings currently in one of the above named banks, I have begun to get slightly concerned about the safety of said deposits (yes yes I know the Gov guarantee it - for what that's worth).

I was thinking about moving it to other institutions, and was wondering if the likes of PermanentTSB, First Active or Halifax are in as much trouble as the 3 main banks, or if they are less exposed to bad debts/loans as them? I never hear these guys mentioned in the news - its always the 3 banks.

Some of those other banks are guaranteed by other governments. I would find out what the limits are in these banks and deposit that amount with each of them.

Question not really answered.

I meant that I never hear the likes of PermanentTSB or First Active in the news when it comes to the doom and gloom stories. Its only ever Anglo, AIB and BoI.

Perhaps the others aren't as exposed to bank property loans?

Question not really answered.

I meant that I never hear the likes of PermanentTSB or First Active in the news when it comes to the doom and gloom stories. Its only ever Anglo, AIB and BoI.

Perhaps the others aren't as exposed to bank property loans?

Well, Permanent TSB are part of ILP - and we know they had funding problems from recent reports and ratios of interbank funding and are likley to have further investigations.

First Active are part of Ulster Bank which lent Sean Dunne the ballsbridge funding so they are going to have big writedowns.

My mattress, however, has seen nothing "inappropriate" so you can deposit funds there!

Well, Permanent TSB are part of ILP - and we know they had funding problems from recent reports and ratios of interbank funding and are likley to have further investigations.

First Active are part of Ulster Bank which lent Sean Dunne the ballsbridge funding so they are going to have big writedowns.

My mattress, however, has seen nothing "inappropriate" so you can deposit funds there!

Thats for that info - I didn't realise that these 2 were owned by the named banks.

What about Halifax Ireland. Are they independent?

Thats for that info - I didn't realise that these 2 were owned by the named banks.

What about Halifax Ireland. Are they independent?

Eh, halifax are part of the lloyds/HBOS group which are almost nationalised at this stage. HBOS are like Anglo to the power of 100 in terms of exposure to propoerty in UK. Their Irish CEO has quit, for unknown reasons. They bought all the ESB shops and offered 90-100% mortgages to 1 bed room apartment buyers. Next !

If only Carlsberg did banking....

Whar's the story with Northern Rock? Is that guaranteed by the Bank of England?

Yes, every penny is guaranteed by the UK Gov.

I'm thinking of putting some money into it. The situation is getting grim all over, and think to have the UK Gov guarantee some of my money as well as the Irish would be better.

Back