Safe registration for a public services card.

Isn't that the same procedure for passports? Sean Murphy's passport would also identify him as John Murphy, and photos now have to be taken without glasses.

At least there's consistency in issuing identity documents, even if it appears unusual.

I am in the same boat. I am not eligible for free travel pass yet but I am being asked to call and collect this card. I don't want or need this card. However it appears that it is compulsory. (It says on the letter that if you don't collect this card you may have your social welfare payments suspended).

I will have to retire at 65 from my job. I cannot get my State Pension until 66. So I will have one year in limbo on Social/Jobseekers whatever...Am I being forced to get this card or I won't have this payment made?

Also when I reach Free Travel time will I have to call again to have my card renewed...

The cards are only valid for 7 years, so you may have to renew it anyway, free travel or not.

Also the name on the birth cert is the one you must sign.
Say the name on the birth cert is JOHN and you have always been known as SEAN and your signature is Sean Murphy. You now become John Murphy without the glasses even though your passport signature is Sean Murphy and photo wearing glasses.

Isn't that the same procedure for passports? Sean Murphy's passport would also identify him as John Murphy, and photos now have to be taken without glasses.

At least there's consistency in issuing identity documents, even if it appears unusual.

That's not the case for passports. My birth cert name is Paddy Mick Rainyday, but I've always been known as Mick Rainyday. On my last passport, I got them to put it as Mick Rainyday, and there is a note somewhere on the passport saying 'also known as Paddy Mick' or something like that.

So I'm:-

Sean Murphy with glasses on passport and
John Murphy without glasses on SAFE card.

Is it ok to have 2 different signatures

If I have to bring photographic ID to get the new card why can I not bring that same photographic ID to collect my SW payment or whatever?

This is just another way for the government to "tag" everyone. We had to give lots of information when we were forced to pay the Householder charge a few years back.

Now they want your birth certificate. Big Brother is building a big database on everyone.

Do you really believe this? If this information is hacked they the hackers will get the lot on you, including your mother's maiden name.

So ! Hackers find out my mothers maiden name was Mc Connell.
I am just not taken with this protective of information stuff.
From what I see , it has been the hiding of information that has resulted in Enquiries eg Child Abuse. Commissions eg Banks.
It seems to me that protection of information helps vested interests more than Mr Citizen.

Maybe we should re-look at what safeguards we really need.
Locally (and I presume elsewhere ) we end up in whispering type campaigns where people say they know of wrongdoing but daren,t say.

It is a big issue and I don,t pretend to know the best route?

Laramie;

A hacker/chancher/double claimer, may well know my address ,DOB , bank details etc but very few people would now a mothers maiden name.
A very singular way of confirming ID.

So why does the Dept. of Social Welfare need this information unless they are building a data base on everyone.

In Ireland (and in the UK for that matter) we have a very basic problem when it comes to dealing with the population - we are unable to identify exactly who we are dealing with! So the only way they can differentiate between two people is to collect enough data points about a person to make them uniquely identifiable.

The driving force is of course to make sure they are dealing with the correct person and to ensure that the don't disclose your personal details to someone else of the same name and date of birth for instance.

In most countries in this problem is addressed by nation identity numbers and cards. But for whatever reason there has been great resistance to such an idea across the entire British Isles and so we are left playing this game to try and identify people.

The Department already has a database of everyone who has a PPSN.

I have never given a copy of my birth certificate to the Department of Social Services. There is a copy in the Births, Marriages and Deaths offices. How have they linked the two? Is it by Name & Date of Birth or have they just made assumptions?

I had to call to Amiens Street about this card last week. Very little parking in the area. There are no toilet facilities at Gandon House which I thought strange. When you enter a security guard grunts at you to queue at the reception area. Reception area just beside the entrance door. Not enough room to queue here with people coming and going. No privacy. You are given ticket and asked to take a seat until your number is called. Staff leave in large groups to go on coffee break. Not replaced, so you are delayed until they come back. Process quick enough. Although you are sitting in a cubicle type area giving your personal details you can overhear everyone else's personal details being given. The staff who are issuing the cards also seem to know about everyone's social welfare claims and could be heard speaking in loud voices about these to people. Why do staff issuing I.D. cards have access to this type of information or even need to know this information.

I had to call to Amiens Street about this card last week. Very little parking in the area. There are no toilet facilities at Gandon House which I thought strange. When you enter a security guard grunts at you to queue at the reception area. Reception area just beside the entrance door. Not enough room to queue here with people coming and going. No privacy. You are given ticket and asked to take a seat until your number is called. Staff leave in large groups to go on coffee break. Not replaced, so you are delayed until they come back. Process quick enough. Although you are sitting in a cubicle type area giving your personal details you can overhear everyone else's personal details being given. The staff who are issuing the cards also seem to know about everyone's social welfare claims and could be heard speaking in loud voices about these to people. Why do staff issuing I.D. cards have access to this type of information or even need to know this information.

What you describe is probably a fairly typical experience for most people attending the social protection office. This is my guess - it's been quite a while since I've attended. I'm not excusing the situation - just putting it in context.

You could try flagging up your experience to the Minister or the shiny new junior Minister and see what change they might inspire.

When confirming receipt of card, or activating it, you are asked to phone (yet another!) 1890 number. The number for those who wish to phone a landline is 071 9672692.

I got a letter to call. When I called they couldn't find me on their system even though they were the ones who sent me the request to call. I was kept waiting about 30 minutes while various people came and had a look at the computer, exchanged a few words with their colleagues and so forth. I felt like some sort of oddity when various people began peeping around the corner at me. "Never saw anything like this before" was the excuse given to me. In the end I had to leave. I was promised that they would get back to me with a reason. Nine months later nobody got back to me.

The reason is because it uses photo match software that measures distance between eyes and ears

Back