Saddled with Joint Mortgage in Negative Equit

Not sure what you meant about keeping your savings "under wraps" but be upfront with your solicitor. He wont tell anyone else but if he does not know about something it might impact on his advice (which you are paying for).

OK i've got in touchwith Ex OH.
It appears she is actively seeking employment & has 3 interviews lined up. When I mentioned the court order, it made her rethink her position & it appears now that it will be possible for her to pay her half of the mortgage (less rent received , if we get it rented) if I give her a few weeks to get a job.
I don't have any better ideas , other than enter a legal battle which will cost the earth.
On the "savings under wraps" I had considered approaching the bank & using my savings to reduce the mortgage.
I now think I'll hold on to them. I dont know what the future will bring.

Interesting to hear how you are getting on? Familar story know of a few ppl. with similar. Still my advice would be Keep your head, and ignore any personal feelings, don't fall for the usual nonsense the ex would spin you. Treat it as a buisness transaction no room for emotions. Still could be worse you might have married her....

(Be thankful you didn't marry her as you'd be out the door of the "family house" while she would be staying there while you strugle to keep paying her for the privilage)

Hi Selenak
Im in EXACT same situation (except for savings) and we've a 2 year old child thrown into the mix.
Ive been paying mortgage on my own the past year or so as my ex refuses to pay his half. (He just about paying child maintenance).
In approx €100k negative equity and based on my earnings bank wont allow me to take on mortgage myself.
I had decided to pay the repayments myself in hope that bank would allow me to take on house / mortgag by proving i could afford and keep-up re-payments for a year.
Renting out and splitting the difference is not an option for me as he WONT pay the difference i.e. if rent is less than mortgage.

Ive booked appointment with solicitor also for next week to see what my options are.
I think my only option would be if bank allows me to take on mortgage or we go voluntary repossession. I couldnt afford legal fees or estate agent fees if i tried to sell myself.
I can manage monthly repayments but i dont have any savings to pay for the likes of this.

Back