Ryevale, Leixlip or Stillorgan

elainem

I have an opportunity to buy a house for my children and I in either area. Stillorgan, I know, has really good schools, and the capital appreciation would be better, though the house needs about €79k rennovation work.

The Leixlip area I know well and have a lot of close friends there. They feel that I should move to a place where I would have support. Also Leixlip house is directly across from primary and secondary school - though I don't know how these schools would compare with those in Stillorgan.

My dilemma is which area to go for - any advice/opinions much appreciated.

Hi! Bacchus, yes, I did back out of the house with rennovation costs, but everything within my budget range in Stillorgan seems to need rewiring, replulmping etc. My famiy, who live down the country, are urging me to buy in somewhere like Stillorgan/Goatstown/Dundrum because of capital appreciation and good schools. Friends think I would be better off near some support, as I have lots of friends in the Leixlip/West Dublin area, and that I should look at buying a house as a home for my children and not primarily as an investment.

If this house is going to be your home in which you spend many years then I wouldn't base my decision on capital appreciation. Do you plan to live there long term with your children? If you bought the house in Stillorgan could you afford to do the renovation work?

Hi! Deedee 80, yes I could, just about afford to do the rennovation work, but it wouldn't leave anything over.

Area-wise both places are nice. Really they are not all that comparable though, in my opinion. Stillorgan is a very nice, sought after area in south Dublin, close to city centre, better ammenities etc. I don't know anything about the schools. Whereas Leixlip is in Kildare, more affordable so better house for your money, small village type setting, alot further from the city centre but you do have the train. If all your friends are in Leixlip I would be inclined to go there as I feel that when buying a home, being near friends and family is what makes you happy there, not what your investment will be worth down the line. That could be just me though. You could get a lovely house for your money in Leixlip and put the rest towards some other investment or savings account for your children. Alternatively, buy the house in Stillorgan and do it up exactly how you want, there is a lot of work involved but also immense satisfaction in that. You will undoubtedly make new friends there through your children.

Not sure how old your children are, but down the line it may be handy to live in Stillorgan for college if that's an option? Also, good transport links for town etc when they get to the age where they would rather hang out with their friends in town, and not their untrendy parent :)

Thanks again Deedee 80 and Dunners for your comments. Dunners, my children are 6 and 4. I would hope that they would go to college eventually, and I have thought about the issue of them wanting to hang around town with their friends, and Stillorgan being much nearer - that is certainly a big consideration - as a mother, I think one tends to thing that the nearer you are to them, the safer they are - mad notion - but there you go.

just throwng in my twopence,the traffic in stillorgan would kill me,Maynooth college is on your doorstep,tesco,lidl,aldi,spar are near enough,theres a nice vllagey feeling in lexlip,bit of teenage problem near river,otherwise seems fine.

Which would be handiest for your work Elaine? Property wise you could probably afford a fab house in Leixlip, have you checked out the estate Gleneaton. I have a friend living there who loves it. Its really nice and the houses are lovely and big.

Hi Elainem

That's a tough decision, and one which you will have to make yourself based on what's right for you. As others have said, Stillorgan is an excellent location which will hold value well and provide a great quality of life. Leixlip is a very different location-it's in Co Kildare for a start, and you would probably have a longer commute if you worked in the city centre. However it has advantages over Stillorgan as well-Better value, more space, countryside location etc.

I lived in Ryevale before and loved it, would move back in a heartbeat. It's a lovely mature settled estate and houses are a good size. The only reason we bought elsewhere was because of the stamp duty implications, we went for a new build. As I said I really loved it there, it's not far from the village, there is a bus stop at the top of the road, and Louisa Bridge train station is about 10 mins walk. Schools are also in walking distance. I can't think of anything negative to say about the place at all!

Ultimately it's your decisions as to which lifestyle would suit you and your children most. I don't think you can compare Leixlip and Stillorgan like for like, instead you would have to choose which would suit your situation better. Best of luck!

Thanks Suntot, it's great to hear from soneone who has lived in Ryevale. I am leaning strrongly towards Ryevale. I have very close friends both in Leixlip and Lucan. My friend's children aren't in school yet, so do you know what the schools are like. My daughter is currently in a Gaelscoil, so I would be hoping to send her to the one in Leixlip. Also, is the secondary school fairly O.K. And finally, was there any problems in Ryevale with teenagers drinking in the woods - I noticed a lot of grafitti on the wall into the wood, and also some on the house I was looking at, as the side of it faces the wood. Thanks.

Back