Ryanair's Girona route.

Grizzly

Have Ryanair dropped the Dublin to Girona route now that they are flying in to Barcelons's main airport? All other spring/summer 2011 destinations are loaded?

Sadly this appears to be the case-. Evidently flying to three airports at/near Barcelona from Dublin is one too many next Summer. Now that FR have a daily BCN flight I'm surprised that FR have not already cancelled to Girona and will fly thru Winter.

Thanks Nick I thought that might be the case. Trying to get to Tossa from BCN. Any thoughts?

Could it be that they have not loaded the Girona route onto their system yet, otherwise it appears that Ryanair had pulled out of Girona altogether as there are no flights from Girona, not just Dublin- Girona.
Also they are not servicing London from El Prat, can't believe they have no London Barcelona/ girona route !

you may be right deli. I checked all UK flights to girona and could only find Glasgow in the system ,which does suggest there will be flights.

I had a lovely week some months ago on the Costa Brava and intended to return this Summer . Besides the interesting attractive historic city of girona there are so many pretty tons and villages and good scenery -and the coast is beautiful.

GRIZZLY -If there are no Dublin flights, then getting from BCNairport to Tossa is a tiring drag with luggage and accompaying moaning female and kids.

Alone ,with light luggage it's better (isn't any trip ?)

The quickest way -but i dont know if its still available- was the airport train to Plaza Catalunya and thence a bus to tossa . Quite easy with Sarfa buses -did it four years ago.
Otherwise its the big bus station in barcelona at estacio nord. Regular buses to tossa. But this means at least one change on the metro getting from the airport to Estacio Nord.
the whole thing could take over two hours. Approx cost 15 euros per person.

There's a train station 30 mins from tossa at Blanes and then a local bus but that's also a drag way of getting from BCN to Tossa.

If there's three of you i'd take a taxi for about 100 euros. If there's four of you -no question a taxi is a must -depending on traffic it'll take 60-90 mins.
I'd also check out the airport transfer services on the web, but they tend to cost more.

Maybe there's still a chance Ryanair will do the Dublin route..

Thanks Nick. I hope so. We had it all booked and paid for, for last April but the volcano got us and everything had to be cancelled. Thankfully we got refunds.

If Ryanair do continue with Girona I hope they do something about the flight times because the flight gets in so late to Girona you have to spend the night there. The local hotels know this so the prices are high. A bit like Bergamo.

Flying in to BCN is a hassle but if the flight is early you don't have to overnight in Girona and save on this cost. Girona is lovely though.

Ryanair have pulled the Dublin to Marseille route and it is gone from their drop down menu. Girona is still there. This suggests that they haven't loaded it yet. Knowing Ryanair they are looking for something from the airport to keep the flights coming.

I checked the website just now for flights to Girona in the New Year and it gave me prices so it's definitely still there.

I checked the website just now for flights to Girona in the New Year and it gave me prices so it's definitely still there.

It's the Spring/Summer timetables that the OP is talking about. From March 26th 2011...

Still no sign of the spring/summer timetable! A friend heard on the radio some time ago that Ryanair were going to stop the Dublin Girona route.

Can't find any info on the net and would like to book early for Easter. If anyone has any info, would love to hear what's going on.

Usually book in October - they're very late this year. Really don't want to fly to Barcelona, it would add an extra hour onto my road journey.

I share your and OP-Grizzly's puzzlement.
After nice time this summer we intended a longer break next summer in c.Brava.
Spoke to the agent who organised our villa this summer and he told me there is a general bewilderment in the travel trade in that area at what is happening next Summer with ryanair , girona's biggest customer by far.
Lots of Ryanair routes to girona that have not yet been loaded for next Summer; almost nothing out of UK,save Glasgow.
is this a negotiating (blackmail) tactic of Ryanair with girona or are they really cancelling dozens of routes ?
Nobody at ryanair says yes or no.

Just heard on 6pm news that Ryanair is planning to move lots of routes out of Dublin from January 2011 as the DAA costs are too high.

Whether this has anything to do with the lack of flights to Girona or not, I don't know.

I just checked about half of the 55 Ryan routes ex Girona next May and June .Only found Glasgow. So Ryanair pulling routes out of Dublin has nothing to do with it.

I'm wonder if the DAA costs or the ten euro charge are really the decisive factors for Ryanair to decrease flights exDub.
Maybe there's an ever growing awareness that there's likely to be far less of us flying abroad next year.

I agree. Yet lots of people are regular flyers with Ryanair on the Girona route. They have been loyal customers over the years, some with holiday homes in the area. I must say it is pretty lousey of Ryanair not to have some sort of announcement about this route. Then again they have dropped lots of routes over the years for all sorts of reasons and didn't give two flying penguins about their regular customers.

Incidentally Nick which resort did you stay in, in the Costa Brava?

hallo, odea.
I am a car-renter. Can't spend two weeks in a villa without a car. Wife wants pool and shops. i want to explore. Catalonia, as you know but other readers may not, has nice verdant scenery and interesting historic towns besides Girona -and is handy for trips into France(e.g..Coulieres never been there, lovely place).Figueres for Dali museum which my family loved and I hated,

We stayed in Calonge, thirty mins drive from Girona airport, making it one of the nearer resorts. Not much there- small village -a mile inland from the coastal strip of shops and hotels, nice beach and some safe and pretty coves for swimming.
Two miles north is Palamos -thriving Catalan port with good ,reasonable priced restaurants and shopping.A further 3/4 miles is Begur with historic town and coves.
Also, two miles south of Calonge is Platja D'Aro- busy tourist strip,not my scene, but wife and her sisters and kids loved it for shops, cheap eateries, the "buzz ", lovely beach.
As Calonge is only 30-odd mins from Girona it was also handy for a couple of visits to that lovely city.

Must say though that villas ain't cheap compared to Cdel sol and C. Blanca. Being a cheapskate i was pushing wife to book at the southern end of C Brava where property is cheapest -Lloret and Tossa. She thought they were too like Fuengirola which may be true of Lloret, but not Tossa which I like. We went there and she admitted it was much nicer than she thought.

We were thinking of L'escala area next Summer but thats nearly two hrs from BCN airport and we may drop the whole idea.

Sounds great. I was hoping to head to Tossa but unless Ryanair re-open Girona route I might head to Porto or Cinque Terre in Italy. Then again I just might give my business to Aer Lingus, my tiny protest.

I share your and OP-Grizzly's puzzlement.

I would say that Ryanair is too busy placing full page adverts in newspapers about Terminal 2 etc, than doing what they should be doing, ie, keeping their customers updated about flight schedules.

Just spoke to someone at Ryanair and they said that it appears that the Dublin to Girona route will remain and the flights are currently 'under review'.

She seemed to think that they will be up on the website next week. Let's see.

They need to make up their mind soon because I am not going to miss out on the hotel special offers that are available elsewhere if you book well in advance. If not Girona/Costa Brava then it will be elsewhere with Aer Lingus.

Back