Ryanair wont accept laser card? and its an irish company

NOAH

Just discovered today, that Ryanair wont accept an Irish Debit card when booking via its website. It costs more when one uses a visa. But if you are from UK one can use a UK debit card!!

Don't you just love it, an Irish company that will not accept an Irish debit card. SHAME but thats Ireland for you.

noah

Re: Ryanair wont accept laser card?? and its an irish company

Ryanair tried to force Laser into some kinda crap commission deal, and when they failed to get it they took the hump - a common response from Ryanair to anyone who won't be bullied.

I guess SWITCH (the UK crowd) bent over for them.
Hope it hurts.

It's a company's duty to maximise returns for shareholders. If doing this requires that they forego certain services or alliances (as decided by the management) then that's their prerogative. Customers who don't like it can always take their business elsewhere.

As an aside ... is it accurate to describe Ryanair as an "Irish" company in this and age? According to Wikipedia they are quoted on ISEQ, LSE and NASDAQ and their largest operational base is Stansted. I suppose they were Irish founded and are still HQ'd in Ireland though.

ClubMan said:
I suppose they were Irish founded and are still HQ'd in Ireland though.

Only because they can avail of the low 12.5% corporation tax rate it would be 30% if they were UK resident

however it is worth it to note that Mr Ryanair is living here and not jumpting ship to avoid paying tax like Bono and others have.
O'Leary is in business to be in business not for the craic and it is great to see an Irish company do so well. So it does not take laser - how many other online stores "Irish Stores" don't take laser

nelly said:
.. not jumpting ship to avoid paying tax like Bono and others have.

To be fair to Bono, he has not jumped ship, cos he has no tax to avoid, him being a struggling artist and all :rolleyes: .

Though I believe U2 have moved their music publishing business offshore to avoid tax, but I'm sure Bono agonised long and hard about that ;) .

TarfHead said:
To be fair to Bono, he has not jumped ship, cos he has no tax to avoid.
I don't think that this is correct given that only certain income is tax free under the [broken link removed] (now subject to a cap). I'd imagine that Bono has other income that is assessable for tax.

Bono is like a lot of other rich ( very rich people) he wants western developed countries to drop the debt of poorer third world countires. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. but governments everywhere have to collect tax to enable them to balance budgets and make donations to various charities and other poorer countries. This tax comes from the citizens and employers etc in general. Bono ( and others ) obviously has the intention of paying as little or no tax at all, so in effect he is preaching that the ordinary citizens in western countries should help the poorer citizens in third world countries, while staying in an offside position himself. and to make matters worse, the media fall over themselves in admiration for his stance. as one poster above states M O'L at least pays his taxes and lives here, something you cannot say about the like of JP, or Ryder Cup man himself , to name just two, whom the media cant praise highly enough, while usually implying that Ryanair is a bum airline used by bums while they themselves ( media) no doubt avail of fully paid for business class seats on other airlines. Rant over.

cuchulainn said:
Bono ( and others ) obviously has the intention of paying as little or no tax at all
How do you know that he doesn't spend some of his savings on charitable donations? Maybe like some other people he reckons that he can manage such spending more efficiently/effectively himself rather than leaving it to some government? I can't stand the man (as defined by his public persona) myself but ultimately these matters are his (and his business partners') own business/prerogative.

ClubMan said:
It's a company's duty to maximise returns for shareholders. If doing this requires that they forego certain services or alliances (as decided by the management) then that's their prerogative. Customers who don't like it can always take their business elsewhere.
Spoken like Micko himself! Hurrah!
Except you forgot to include the F word.

Stands to reason really - if you don't like a company or its service then go elsewhere. Can't see why anybody would have problem with that unless they just wanted an excuse for a rip-off moan/rant. I haven't flown Ryanair since well before MO'L's time there (1987 to be precise if I recall correctly) so I have no recent direct experience of them. Thought it was interesting today to hear about their ongoing committment not to levy fuel surcharges no matter how high oil prices go unlike most other airlines these days.

"Maybe like some other people he reckons that he can manage such spending more efficiently/effectively himself rather than leaving it to some government"

Being a rich citizen of a country doesn't give one to right to choose where your tax paid should be spent. Personally, I'd love to pay no tax and use the saving to build a kids playground 50 yards down the road to suit me and my kids. I don't see why in effect you could possibly argue that Bono or JP and his millions to Limerick GAA should be any different?

Legend99: That was my point. Bono wants our Governemnt ( and others)to spend money on very worthwhile and commendable causes but uses every avenue open ( to the rich anyway) to avoid becoming such a taxpayer. Personally if we were all given the choice of paying no tax and making a donation ( to match our tax) to a worthy cause I have no doubt we all would have a favourite one, and then we could publicise our cause in a blaze of publicity too, but thats not the point. Point is in a fair society everybody should pay their fair share. And if some manage to avoid this by whatever means is open to them, then the least they can do is stop complaining out how money collected from others is spent. I have absolutely no doubt that our wealthier citizens make very large donations to worthwhile causes, but this shouldn't mean that they are except from paying their fair share of tax. And I mean fair share, not punative.

Being a rich citizen of a country doesn't give one to right to choose where your tax paid should be spent.
Obviously it does to some extent given the legitimate tax planning that people like Bono/U2 engage in to move assets around and reduce their total tax bill.
I don't see why in effect you could possibly argue that Bono or JP and his millions to Limerick GAA should be any different?
I wasn't arguing that. Please read my posts more carefully in future.

thanks for all the replies, i feel a lot better now, i dont agree with a few of the surmises and the one that really bugs is this " go elsewhere" because in real life, as MOL might say its not that f****g simple. Ryanair started out in Ireland and to turn round and s**** on the people who got it started is not on. What we need is a bit more integrity and credibility. Ryanair charge more for using a cc than a laser etc etc. With all the profits they make they could at least show a pinch of loyalty to those who dont have a cc they might even get more business.

As for Bono I think his credibility is totally and completey gone. I did hear him referred to a long time ago in what were not very complimentary terms and time proved that they were accurate.

One law for the rich and the rest of us can go shoo...

noah

Obviously it does to some extent given the legitimate tax planning that people like Bono/U2 engage in to move assets around and reduce their total tax bill.
I wasn't arguing that. Please read my posts more carefully in future.

No disrespect. I read your post very carefully. You said - "Maybe like some other people he reckons that he can manage such spending more efficiently/effectively himself rather than leaving it to some government? I can't stand the man (as defined by his public persona) myself but ultimately these matters are his (and his business partners') own business/prerogative."

I read your statement as an endorsement of his (bono's) right to choose what his due tax should be spend on instead of having to pay tax like the rest of us. If I'm wrong feel free to clarify what you did mean to say.

And I agree with cuchulainn 100%.

Does Bono accept Laser?

Ah Bono. The man who was giving out about the inequlaity of the world at Slane while the official licensed vendors inside the venue were allowed to charge close to 8 euro for a burger and chips, 5 euro for a pint and they didn't allow you bring your own bottled plastic water in.....

Anyway, the original point of the post about the Ryanair issue with Laser cards is valid. Even though I wonder in ten years where the airline industry will be. Capacity in just about every airport is at bursting point, the sky is effectively full, especially in the South-East of the UK, oil prices I can never see dropping back to less than 60-70 dollars a barrell (haven't Ryanair hedged at 74 a barrell) and we have the current security issues as well.

I assume at some stage that terrorists would have the cop-on to start targeting all modes of transport...ferrys, trains, motorway routes etc?

Back