Ryanair refund for connecting flights

ChristieA

I recently bought a ticket to Germany and the flight was cancelled. I got the refund for that no problem. Ryanair said that I was not entitled to any compensation for the connecting flight to London (purchased seperately). They told me I'd have to take legal action. Which I'm pretty sure I will out of principle. Hate the airline and every time I fly with them I swear never again but I'm a divil for punishment. If any one have any insight on the legal ins and outs I would appreciate it.

I think you selected Ryanair initially because they were the cheapest!! We travel with Ryanair about 9 times a year - no prob, bring the sandwiches, fully prepared for the knee sandwich (for anyone over 5'9") but the prices, frequency and routes make up for it all! If it wasn't for Ryanair, we (that's the Royal WE) couldn't afford to get off this debt-ridden, freezing, boring, angst-ridden island! So, HELLO RYANAIR! :)

RyanAir are a point to point carrier, they explicitly put the onus of making the connection onto you. Essentially the flight from ?Stansted? (guessing it was there!) flew but you "hadn't bothered" to turn up for it. Doesn't matter if it was because they didn't fly you out of Dublin it is entirely up to you to get to Stansted to catch the flight. If you had made it to Stansted and the flight to Germany had been cancelled you would have got no assistance with hotels, new flights, etc for the same reason.

Eithneangela good for you if you like to fly Ryan Air but I can't see the relevance of your comment, it has nothing to do with the OPs query. Personally I would never use them for connecting flights since they simply do not do connecting flights - nothing to do with their potentially cheap flight price or their always overpriced in-flight sandwich selection.

Ryanair always advertise themselves as a point to point airline which is why it's impossible to buy connecting flights on their website. Since they make no promises or guarantees about connections, I'd imagine you'll have difficulty winning a court case. Did you try your travel insurance?

Edit: Drat, beaten to it by so-crates :)

How can anybody in their sane mind expect a travel company to not only fly them for half-nothing to a destination, but also to fit in with other airline schedules. C'mon, get real - we now have a choice of two cheap airlines from this little island, courtesy of Ryanair (Aer Lingus is becoming the other one - thank you, competition!) - GOD BLESS TONY RYAN!

Eithneangela, again what is your point? It has nothing to do with fitting in with other airline schedules - it has to do with them providing a linkage themselves. They fly you in, they fly you out but you have to make the connection. And to be frank - they aren't always that cheap.

I don't understand your comments, Socrates. I'm really grateful to Ryanair for bringing down the cost of getting out of Ireland for whatever reason (holiday, visiting relatives ......) and I've travelled with Ryanair at least 10 times a year for the past 6 years (since retirement) so I know to bring the homemade sandwiches, fruit etc. depending on the duration of the flight.

The point I am trying to make to you is that your admiration for Ryanair's competitive input to the Irish market is of absolutely no relevance to the OP's question. They are peeved as they are out of pocket for a flight and have received from Ryanair the usual and entirely justified brush off. Your response was basically "I love Ryanair" which is perhaps nice to say but utterly pointless. The useful response is "sorry you are out of pocket but you have not got a leg to stand on they told you up front they are point to point". Not aiming for a dig just mystified as to why you think it is relevant to the OP for you to share that you are a Ryanair-o-phile, especially as nothing in your post bears any relevance to the question asked.

Don't know whether this crowd is any good, but you have nothing to lose from contacting them, and letting them do the work for you..

Gawd Eithneangela,

I agree with every word you said. The Romans were right when they did not come here after conquering Britain. Why invade a dark, wet, cold island?

Why didnt I marry you?

Regards

Lep

Good points EithneAngela and while not directly related to the point in question, they do touch on the subject.

I would not bother with attempting to sue Ryanair because they are well within their rights to not refund the cost of the first flight as they are a point to point airline.

I'm not a fan of Ryanair and only fly with them as a last resort (thanks Aer Arann) but I do appreciate the element of competition they have brought to the market and the increase in numbers of routes. I fly with them about 25 times a year and they are acceptable if your expectations are set at an appropriate level. In a balanced discussion we should look at all sides but in this case I'm afraid that Ryanair have the upper hand (as they usually do). My advice is to forget about it and enjoy the remainder of the festivities.

All the best.

How can anybody in their sane mind expect a travel company to not only fly them for half-nothing to a destination, but also to fit in with other airline schedules. C'mon, get real - we now have a choice of two cheap airlines from this little island, courtesy of Ryanair (Aer Lingus is becoming the other one - thank you, competition!) - GOD BLESS TONY RYAN!

Lighten up So-crates, The OP is making the point that Ryanair are terrible becuase they won't refund the flight she cannot make . Ryanair are a point to point airline. Usually you can depend on Ryanair to get you to the your destination on time to enable you to make a connecting flight. EitneAngela is making the point that Ryanair are normally reliable . They don't claim to be anything other than a bus service.

P.S. I love Ryanair

Lighten up So-crates, The OP is making the point that Ryanair are terrible becuase they won't refund the flight she cannot make

No, the OP said nothing of the sort. They said:

If any one have any insight on the legal ins and outs I would appreciate it.

Every post by the Ryainair PR squad has been completely off-topic and unhelpful to the thread.

Code:
Ryanair said that I was not entitled to any compensation for the connecting flight to London (purchased seperately). Hate the airline and every time I fly with them I swear never again

Ryanair don't do connecting flights.

At the end of the day, Ryanair (and EasyJet) clearly state that they do not do connecting flights and that they consider each flight as a separate booking; you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court.

I would say Travel Insurance should cover a missed flight as they cover if your car broke down on the motorway on the way to the airport or problems with public transport (assuming that adequate time was allowed)

I can't think why a cancelled flight should be any different as long as there was plenty of time allowed at the connecting airport. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

I would say Travel Insurance should cover a missed flight as they cover if your car broke down on the motorway on the way to the airport or problems with public transport (assuming that adequate time was allowed)

I can't think why a cancelled flight should be any different as long as there was plenty of time allowed at the connecting airport. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

This too would be my view.

I often fly cork to dublin, or cork to london gatwick with ryanair and then from there to where-ever, often by ryanair also.

I know that ryanair is point-to-point only and that Ryanair is not liable for any delays in the second leg of my journey. I did after all make 2 seperate bookings on the website so have no contract with ryanair to get me to from my initial departure point to my final destination.

I have been lucky never to have been delayed to the point that I missed my second flight however should this happen I would be claiming off my travel insurance.

Last edited:
If you made 2 seperate bookings with ryanair , then its your problem and they dont owe you a refund.

Their contract with you is based on your booking.
They got you to destination on your booking, the fact that you miss andy 2nd flight booking has nothing to do with them .
So in your case a cancelled flight whichs means you missed your connection is not their problem, in your contract with them they are only obliged to take you from point A to point B as specified on your booking.

Sorry to say it but you are wasting your time chasing this one

I recently bought a ticket to Germany and the flight was cancelled. I got the refund for that no problem. Ryanair said that I was not entitled to any compensation for the connecting flight to London (purchased seperately).
When you say, you bought a ticket to Germany, do you mean from UK-Germany and because this flight was cancelled, you decided not to use the ROI-UK flight?

Back