Ryanair mobile phone launch

No you're mistaken. The technology has been installed on the planes to enable individuals to use their own phones by connecting to an aircraft-based 'mobile network' which then relays the signals to ground-based networks.

They aren't physical 'skyphones' like some long-haul carriers have built into the seatbacks.

Apologies Pique

I stand corrected.

i really wonder how popular this will be
On a cheap flight are people really going to spend 3 euros a minute on non essential phone chats ?

I think it is great to be able have contact with those below on the ground,after all it is 2009.I always thought it was odd that you could use a computer on a plane but not a mobile phone, yes I know sound's weird when you think about it doesn't it.

I think it is great to be able have contact with those below on the ground,after all it is 2009.I always thought it was odd that you could use a computer on a plane but not a mobile phone, yes I know sound's weird when you think about it doesn't it.

It doesn't sound weird at all - the reason for the phone ban was because of a fear that the signals could interfere with the planes computers or communications.

I flew from UK last night, and the plane was fitted to allow mobile phone calls (there's a red/green light system in the ceiling, telling us all to "turn mobiles off" or "mobiles may be used")....I couldn't see anyone making a call - and I didn't hear the "beep beep" of a keypad for texting either! I was waiting for the "I'm on the plane" call!

I wonder should they bar the use of mobiles in the emergency rows, as it could distract passengers sitting there who are required to assist in the event of an emergency? If they do, there'll be even more of a rush to grab one of those seats!!

Back