Ryanair Delayed Flight, how do I claim compensation?

Maz2408

We boarded a Ryanair Flight from Belfast international to Alicante on Friday 21st September. Passengers were fully boarded approximately 10 minutes before departure time.
However departure time passed and front door of the airplane remained open, we thought someone was late. An hour passed and no movement, cabin crew are now being asked what's the problem? they didn't know. nearly another hour passed, passengers are now becoming hot, thirsty irritated etc, finally the Pilot announced that the door would'nt close as the seal was broken and they were trying to find another plane. An hour or so later we were told that we were being transported by bus to a different plane.

The second plane departed at approximately 8.45pm our original departure time was 4.40pm.
The last 15 rows of passengers which included myslef recieved no offer of refreshment, not even water from the time they boarded the first plane right through until the second plane landed in Alicante over 7 hours later.

Ryanair were kind enough to send all passengers an apology email for the delay before we landed, telling us to contact our travel insurance companies regards compensation.

I have been told we are entitled to €400 in compensation from Ryanair as the delay was over 3 hours and the journey was over 1700km, and my Brother a frequent flier has forwarded templates for claiming the compensation from the airline.

Do I need to contact my travel insurance company or should i just pursue Ryanair?

I have been in this position before. There is a page on Ryanairs website that you use to submit the claim. Once submitted it went very smoothly. I didn't need to go through my travel insurance.

Sorry, forgot to add, Ryanair sent us the email as well, to notify our travel insurance. But that is a bit of misdirection on their part. In fairness, once we submitted the claim on their page, with all the supporting documentation, the money was in our account pretty quickly (and was more than the cost of the flights :) )

I think @Buddyboy has useful summary.
With SAS with the same dealy - it was one email - and as they had all the details of flights its was €250 per passenger there and then

Just a little update. I'm delighted to say, no complications with claim, submitted compensation form by e'mail with date, flight number bank account details as requested, recieved a reply from Ryanair pretty promptly stating that €800 would be deposited to my bank account within 10 working days and payment arrived within the 10 days.

Back