Ryanair CFO slams BAA

almo

Just watching the end of Ryanair's deputy CEO and CFO, Howard x, on CNN. He's slapped the head off (technical term for beating up on) BAA and has said that Ryanair's ticket prices will drop by 5-10% and they will encourage mobile use on board.

It seems to have been an anti-Heathrow fest, but the Ryanair rep nicely turned it around and said "Stanstead is even worse", one wonders is that because the company doesn't fly into Heathrow?

I'm sure this interview will be repeated as it will no doubt provoke comment form BAA.

So what? MO'L comes out with this sort of bluster all the time. What makes this incident so noteworty?

Last edited:
What makes it noteworthy is that it is coming on the back of a rather sustained volley against the BAA on CNN.

Also what makes it noteworthy is that the CFO was very polite and presented a strong yet pleasant face of Ryanair. IMHO

Assume thats Howard Millar? Its typical of Ryanair's rants against everybody who doesn't agree with them.

Assume thats Howard Millar? Its typical of Ryanair's rants against everybody who doesn't agree with them.

Yeah I know. Am getting sick of hearing from them. Today, I see them ranting on against the regulator about higher airport charges at Dublin and how they are screwing passenegers. It might be more useful if they started to refund the airport charges to passengers that didn't travel and then they might be applauded for standing up for the poor consumer against the evil aviation authority, the DAA, the Irish government, Gordon Brown, BAA, environmentalists and the European commission. All of whom want nothing more than to put poor Ryanair out of business. :rolleyes:

It is a case of the boy who cried wolf mentality now - when something really decent comes up nobody is going to listen to them! When they had problems over Brussels I backed them, they brought in business and can only be regarded as a good thing for a formerly depressed area. But now...

The cynical might say it's them making some noise to divert attention from the fact that they're grounding 20% of their Stansted fleet this winter because they can't find enough passengers to make it profitable to fly them.

Then I'm not that cynical ;)

The cynical might say it's them making some noise to divert attention from the fact that they're grounding 20% of their Stansted fleet this winter because they can't find enough passengers to make it profitable to fly them.

Didn't they also say it only became unprofitable because Stansted doubled the charges requiring a higher passenger yield for the route to remain profitable, hence why they are running fewer flights. They are anticipating slower growth in passenger numbers rather than an actual dropping off of passengers.

Didn't they also say it only became unprofitable because Stansted doubled the charges requiring a higher passenger yield for the route to remain profitable, hence why they are running fewer flights. They are anticipating slower growth in passenger numbers rather than an actual dropping off of passengers.

Yes indeed - they say lots of things :) - the worrying thing from an investors perspective (and I'm not one) though is they've got lots more planes on order .. (several hundred I think) ... and fair enough they may be picking a fight with BAA on Stansted and want to reduce capacity at STN ... but it's a bit worrying that they couldn't find somewhere else to deploy the aircraft.

They've picked fights with Airports many times in the past ... but I don't think they've parked up aircraft before - they've just shifted them around.

They're closing down their Croatian routes for the winter, which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense (there is demand, even from local - Cro, Bos, Serb - living in the UK and Ireland). And what's more important is that there was a newspaper article here yesterday questioning the manner in which they got access to the southern market - but to be perfectly honest, it's nothing they did wrong, rather the minister being under suspicion in other things.

Back