Rural v city solicitors and septic tank

Larsheen

I’m just selling a property in Dublin using a local solicitors for conveyance and hope to purchase a house outside of Dublin which will have a septic tank.
The reason I mention the septic tank is that I know a certificate of compliance is required and I am wondering do solicitors outside of Dublin, conveyancing rural properties have a different ‘check list’ for want of a better description to Dublin solicitors? Would I be better using a solicitors local to the area in which I’m purchasing? Thanks in advance

In theory, it shouldn't make a difference. The 'certificate of compliance' is to confirm that the property was built in accordance with PP. The only way to know the septic tank is working is to try a few flushes! You could get some form of engineer to look at it, if you wanted. However, most engineers reports are so highly qualified that they are next to useless!!

If you're buying a rural property with a septic tank my advice to you is get the absolute best report of the septic tank that can be got. If you don't, and a problem comes up, it will drive you crazy and cost you an awful lot of money. A very high percentage of septic tanks are not passing inspection, let that be a warning to you. It's very, very, important you get one or find out from neighbours, etc, if there's a problem. I don't know exactly who you get to do that and if they can stand over the report.

I can highly recommend these guys - https://septictanks.ie/

Biggish company, but well priced and quite a personal service too.

I'd definitely get it checked. They'll tell you the type of system and let you know anything you need to keep in mind to ensure it works as expected.

Septic tanks must be registered and maintained, so if you are considering a property with a septic tank or more modern treatment system, ensure your solicitor is aware that it has one and enquires about the registration, maintenance record.

Checking that it's working properly is a little more involved than flushing a toilet, that will just test the pipes leading to it aren't blocked but someone with a problematic tank could simply have it emptied in advance of selling allowing time to mask problems with percolation areas.

I’m just selling a property in Dublin using a local solicitors for conveyance and hope to purchase a house outside of Dublin which will have a septic tank.
The reason I mention the septic tank is that I know a certificate of compliance is required and I am wondering do solicitors outside of Dublin, conveyancing rural properties have a different ‘check list’ for want of a better description to Dublin solicitors? Would I be better using a solicitors local to the area in which I’m purchasing? Thanks in advance
Read todays newspapers pointing out the disastrous state of septic tanks all over the country, that should waken people up to the importance of checking them out before thinking of closing on a property purchase. You have been warned.

The EPA has said that the septic tank systems failed their inspections due to not being built or maintained properly
“The need to fix failing septic tanks has been repeatedly highlighted by the EPA as a concern. It is unacceptable that over 500 failed septic tanks are not fixed more than two years after inspection.

“Over half of these involve sewage ponding in gardens and discharging to ditches and streams, which cannot be allowed to continue. Local authorities must increase their enforcement effort to ensure failed systems are fixed.”

Speaking on Morning Ireland, Byrne said that the failure to resolve all faulty septic tank cases was becoming a concern and encouraged households to get their water wells tested regularly as well as keep their tanks well maintained.

“Get your well tested annually to make sure that there’s no contamination issue or anything arising from your septic tank.

“Good maintenance can often prevent any problems. So you should get your tank desludged every three to four years,” Byrne said

Reactions: jim
The only way to know the septic tank is working is to try a few flushes!
Oh dear, do not rely on this, it will not tell you anything about the septic tank.

My suggestion is not fully quoted. As Shakespeare in Merchant of Venice said, 'even the devil can cite scripture for himself'. I did suggest an engineer to do a proper survey. However, if you flush a few times and there is sluggishness, then you know there IS a problem.

Back