Running Toilet

Holy Well

Anybody got any idea how to stop a running toilet? it's one of those with the button on the top to flush it.

We find that if we push it & release it quick to flush, it will be running all night, but if we keep the button depressed until the entire cistern empties each time, then it's fine.

As this is a huge waste of water, and a pain in the backside, can anyone help to stop it running when pressed normally?

I'm not sure it its the same problem but that used to happen a push button toilet I had. It was because the button was not clicking up. To stop the water constantly filling, I had to lift the cistern lid and then you would heard the button click.

Another possibility (which has happened to me at one point) is that the float isn't returning completely and is not shutting off the water/valve.

check if for obstructions or if it is rubbing off the inner wall of the cistern.

If the water is running in our bathroom toilet (similar to yours from the sound of it) try pressing the button again. With ours,the button sometimes feels loose, i.e. no pressure to press against so, we just press it a few times until we can feel the pressure. At this point the water stops running.

Works for us.

I had this just the other day.
There is curved arm with a float on it that will rise with the water.
When the water reaches a certain height, it stops the flow.
The arm in my case had flipped completely over to the wriong side.
If you picture a man holiding a fishing rod, facing east.
You should flip the rod over to point west.
I assume I had a heavy handed visitor that flushed too hard.

That sorted it out for me, may / may not for you - good luck.

Have you tried flushing with the cistern lid off so that you can see what actually happens? You might find out the problem that way, and what is causing it.

Hi.

A plumber friend showed me how to stop this problem.

If you follow along the arm of the ball cock, there will be a plastic nut in the middle. Adjust this left & right until the flow stops....

worked for me..

Back