running a retail store

CHICCO

hi all,

i have almost 2 years experince as a retail manager and management experience in manufacturing also.
im wondering what it takes to run a small supermarkrt or convience store,such as the centras spars etc. what sort of finance is required, what would be your % profit from annual turnover rough guide if there is one. im looking more for info on the business/financial end of things. the running of a store i think i would be ok with. when i was working as a retail manager my objective would have been to maximise sales i would not have been involved in the accounts. im just starting to look into this now so any info would be appreciated.
regards.

Hi Chicco,

Welcome to AAM.

If you run the search option or have a read through this forum you should get some advice.

I think most centras spars run on a 30-40 % gross margin depending on location and food sales etc. you might be better off trying to buy into an existing spar /centra etc. id say you would need at least 100-200k for the guys to talk with you.ring the various companies and talk to the business development person and run it by them, i know retail experience is a big plus ,but as you know money talks ! G OOD LUCK

You should contact Musgraves. If you are a good prospect they will help to arrange the finance for you.

If you have the experience, and know whats involved, all you need is the money. I think 250k - 300k + vat is more realist, to fit out say a 2000sq unit. Also if you go with centra they charge an additional ~10% of the fit out to cover the cost of advising you! Ring them up, they will meet you within a day or two, and answer all your question better than anyone here!!

The GM for a convenience shop would be in the range of 22% - 27%. Depending on product mix.

Back