Rules for New Cyclists

Whilst cycling, enjoy it, fresh air, exercise, going at a slower pace of life. you may see sights you may not see in a car (even when going around the city). If you go on longer cycles, up mountains or on country roads, look around you and take in the scenery, some of it is quite wonderful.

13. when there is a cycle lane on the pavement DON'T cycle in the bus-lane. A few weeks back coming through drumcondra the bus driver indicated that he was going into the bus lane... didn't stop a cyclist nipping into the bus lane and nearly getting squished.

That cycle lane (outbound at Drumcondra opposite the archibishops house and before Fagans?) doesn't have the correct signage so it isn't legal and doesn't have to be used. It's also stupid and dangerous because cars coming in and out of the side roads won't be expecting you and won't stop until after they've cut across in front of you.

What are people's views on cyclists who have headphones in while commuting? I see quite a few!

14. When out training in 2's, 4's, 6's - at least think about not taking over the entire road in pairs going at 20 - 25 mph... the one on the outside will get clipped by a frustrated motorist trying to overtake to get to where they're going just because you couldn't go in single lines... are you actually cycling or just out for a chat?

What are people's views on cyclists who have headphones in while commuting? I see quite a few!

I sometimes listen to music when I'm on a longer cycle. As long as the volume is low, I can still hear traffic behind me. Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is - should motorists drive along with the radio off, passengers silent and the windows open?

16. Don't cycle. I tried cycling in Dublin once. I value my safety too much to do it again.

There's certainly an uphill struggle when it comes to learning to cycle safely in Dublin but if you keep your wits about you, it's possible to stay safe. I've been cycle-commuting for almost six years, varying from 5km to 20km each way and I've had no accidents and no injuries at all. Overtime, you learn to expect the unexpected and you spot situations that could be dangerous.

Back