RTSO1

JJ5000

Hi, I'm trying to fill out a RTSO1 because I sold some shares through a company plan. I've searched around and can't find any information anywhere that says how you calculate the "Total Liability". I also can't find how you do the currency conversion when the stocks were in USD.

From [broken link removed]
Relevant Tax on Share Options (RTSO)
The tax due on the exercise of a share option is known as RTSO. You must pay RTSO within 30 days of exercising the options. You must also calculate the [broken link removed] and Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) due and pay this directly to the Collector General. You must complete a RTSO1 Form when making your payment. You must also complete a Form 11 for every year that you exercise options.

Thanks but it doesn't say anything about the percentages or how you do the currency conversion.

Those rates should be as per your current income levels. So, if you're taxed at the higher rates already it's 40% income tax, 4% PRSI and 8% USC.

Not sure why currency is a problem - how much did you receive in Euro? Surely that is the amount that should be taxed.

Are you sure you are paying the right tax? RTSO1 is only for gains/profits that you make when you exercise your share options. RTSO1 does not arise when you sell shares. If the profits/gains you make are from exercising a share option then the rate of tax is 52%.

Back