RTE's money program with Alvin Hobbs continues this week

Re: Above

Not sure if all CU's operate such schemes but An Post run a household budget scheme for customers in receipt of Social Welfare payments in case that's of any interest: www.anpost.ie/personal/pe...udget.html

I didn't think Eddie's show was as effective in tackling financial issues in comparison to Alvin Hall's show. Eddie just showed the 'troubled family' how to consolidate their loans to save interest to solve the problem. He didn't really provde them with any sort of 'financial counselling'.

I felt that Eddie failed to focus on what really caused the family's debts in the first place, or examples of how they could change their spending habits to minimise accumulating any further debts. I noticed that parents and daughter all smoked - I'm sure cutting down on the habit would have saved them a pretty penny. Plus we didn't really know how much each spent on a weekly basis in the pub... or what their general spending habits were... that contributed to them having to take out loans, and thus add to their growing debt.

In the case of Alvin Hall's show - he would at least demonstrate to the trouble participants, physical examples of how much money was being thrown away to try and make the participants have a real value for money. I think Eddie failed to make the 'troubled family' aware of just how valuable money REALLY is. I mean...the fact that the family decided to give themselves a holiday using BORROWED money (that was supposed to have only been used to consolidate their numerous loans), despite Eddie's brief advice on using ACTUAL MONEY to buy luxury goods/services, just summed it all up.

I unfortunately missed the first show in the series, but having seen the second one, the show appears to demonstrate a 'quick fix' to sorting current financial problems... rather than focusing on long-term solutions. In fact, I was very much looking forward to seeing the show, but was very disappointed having seen 'Epsiode 2'. I'm curious as to what will be presented in the third show....and whether it will offer another quick fix solution.

SMTM

Hi Soc,

Funny I thought the opposite, and so too did most people who watched judging by the response, but viva la difference! I also thought that the presenter is much more credible, and doesn't ham up when talking to people. Alvin Hall is very concious of the camera and the need to razzle dazzle. I much prefer Hobbs down to earth style. I don't understand how the show didn't satisfy the need to examine the behaviour pattern that led to the borrowing- it couldn't have been clearer.

I think you're a little harsh on working class people and ciggies. Given the circumstances if I'd be smoking too.

Alvin Vs Eddie

Alvin Hobbs is more of a showman, he does try to surprise the participant with just how much money they waste. Remember the woman who spent more each month on clothes than on the family mortgage? She had no idea.

Alvin Hall gets angry with people (if only in a light hearted way, but he is capable of making people cry).

When I saw that woman announce that while reconciling her 33,000 debt she had "taken a little more for a holiday" I felt like screaming at her, and Eddie should have.

In one sentance she proved that the whole experience with Eddie was a complete waste of time, and instead of his uplifting comments at the end he should have said that this family were a lost cause.

Apart from the Holiday, the other very telling comment was from the daughter.

"I just ask for €20 or €50 and they give it to me"

Just as the rich teach their kids about money, so do the poor, it's just different lessons.

Eddie kept passing up great opportunities to do a little side bar about this kind of attitude, or about teaching kids the right lessons about money, or about borrowing a little more while reconciling.

I really want episode 3 to be very good. 2 was enjoyable to watch (in that "god this is annoying" way), but I thought it glossed over too much. It's all very vague, numbers are thrown around like toys in a creche.

Worst of all someone who didn't have TV camera's behind them could not have borrowed 30000 from a credit union with no savings, so the show was dishonest to the viewers as well.

As for the cigarettes, I'm a big fan of peoples freedom to be stupid and spend a fortune on smoking, As a Debt Adviser should Eddie have pointed out the financial benefits of quiting? I don't know.

-Rd

SMTM

I saw last weeks show, and liked it. Both Hobbs and Hall are completely different performers, in different cultures. I prefer Hobbs, so far, but if I was a Brit, I'd probably find his Irishness a bit off putting.

I think that the benefit of the show is to popularise discussion about money, overspending and debt here in Ireland. Most people NEVER read the financials, because they find it complex and boring. We can't understand that, but its how it is. I found a lot of people talking over the next few days about SMTM at work and in the pub. Alvin Hall was never discussed in my experience, surely that's the real benefit of the new show.

There are many things I'd do differently to SMTM, but that's not the point. I'm not the presenter, or faced with dealing with the problems adssociated with making a programme in Ireland. All told I think its a fine show, and the public like it.

I'm curious as to what will be presented in the third show....and whether it will offer another quick fix solution.

[broken link removed]

Thanks

Thanks O, that sounds like a very interesting conflict of ideas at the heart of our love affair with property.

BTW, how do you do those links - can you point me to a training spot? Thanks again O.

Re SMTM

I caught this for the first time this week and liked it. I didn't see all the program, but I would have to agree with soc, he didn't seem to be able to explore the reasons behind peoples overspending. Yes, Alvin is a showman, but if there were no emotions involved, we would all be on the pigs back!! Alvin seems to be able to get people to face whatever problem they are running away from by overspending.

The show I saw (couple with hiliday home in Donegal, #3) left the family in a situation where it wouldn't take much to put them back in the hole...

Re: Re SMTM

Discussion of episode three is here:

Back