RTE News

Pique318

I have often noticed when watching the RTE News that there seems to be a bunch of amateurs working there.

Between link-ups to reporters (in Ireland, never mind abroad) not working, sound on video conferences poor, wrong cameras active so newsreader is looking in the wrong direction...etc.etc.

I think that it looks very amateurish, and reflects badly on RTE overall (not an easy job, considering the standard of programming anyway).

Or am I the only one that feel this way ?

Nope, I agree as well.
The whole production is awful, nearly as bad as the content.
The Channel 4 news at 7 is the best news programme on TV with Newsnight on BBC2 a close second.

I actually like 6.01 news but you're dead right - absolutly every single day there will be numerous amateur mistakes. But as long as Sharon is on, i'll keep watching.

Not to mention this obsession of having reports from location where the poor reporter has to stand in front of the courts, the air lingus canteen, some bridge over the river or something else.

These do not add anything to the report, I mean I don't care of the chieft legal reporter is reporting from inside a studio or standing outside in front of the court for a live report at a time when the action is long long over.

Most TV (especially news, documentaries etc.) may as well be on the radio for all that most of the images shown add to the overall experience. This is not unique to RTE by any means. In fact radio is often better because they have to concentrate more closely on the script.

Not to mention this obsession of having reports from location where the poor reporter has to stand in front of the courts, the air lingus canteen, some bridge over the river or something else.

These do not add anything to the report, I mean I don't care of the chieft legal reporter is reporting from inside a studio or standing outside in front of the court for a live report at a time when the action is long long over.

If they got rid of this they'd have limited opportunity to 'massage' their expense claims.

the thing that bugs me is when they say we are going over to our reporter and then there is silence and the newsreader carries on to the next item without comment. its like clipping a car and driving on !

Most TV (especially news, documentaries etc.) may as well be on the radio for all that most of the images shown add to the overall experience. This is not unique to RTE by any means. In fact radio is often better because they have to concentrate more closely on the script.
I find the one size fits all format of RTE radio broadcasts annoying.
They start with a snippet of recorded sound (children playing if broadcast from a school), then the reporter, then an interviewee, then the reporter again, then the report fades out with the same snippet of background sound.

Back