RTE News car dealers buying up North

slookie

Did anyone see the news last night about a car dealer (in Dublin, I think), importing cars from the North and UK, and selling them on with VRT done? basically saying "If you can't beat them, join them", in reference to people travelling North to buy. Does anyone know the name of the garage - its escaped me, or anywhere else that does this?
thanks

Re: RTE News Tues 10th March

Not sure if it's the same one, but in the Times today there was article re HB Dennis a garage in swords doing this.
Link here: [broken link removed]

I wouldn't think this is very widespread.

Dealers are in trouble with all the cars lying idle in their lots. Place is full of second hand cars

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop prices and try and clear what they have.

they have a cheek considering they were slating the general public for doing the same....aparently we were open to sharp practices such as unsafe cars, clocked cars and in fact our patriotism was being called into question....In fact I remember the chairman of thier organisation (SIMI?...not sure) calling on people to contact the revenue offices about neighbours with yellow reg's !!.....I'll never buy a car from a dealership in this country again!

My brother dealt with one of the garages in Charles Hursts lot. He owns a few in Belfast.

Word on inside is most of stock is cleared and dealers becoming profitable again by adapting. Nice profits to be made by importing from Uk, and can deliver good value also. As well as that they are paying less for trade ins and can affoard to sell for less now also. Things are changing though. 2nd hand car prices have gone up 5% per month this year in UK, the opposite to here, although once we reach parity that will put a floor on prices here too

What's the big deal? Dealers have been importing used cars from the UK and Japan for years and years and years...

What's the big deal? Dealers have been importing used cars from the UK and Japan for years and years and years...[/quote

extopia is right , there are loads of dealers importing cars and have been
for a while , main dealers included.

I wouldn't think this is very widespread.

Dealers are in trouble with all the cars lying idle in their lots. Place is full of second hand cars

Wouldn't it make more sense to drop prices and try and clear what they have.

Dealerships that I know of are
Frank Keane BMW
Murphy and Gunn Toyota

Most dealers are doing it except for the odd dealer that hasnt copped on yet and thinks this is an abomination. More likely they are also doing it but just not admitting it

Always amazes me that we have one of the most open economies in the world and yet one of the most archaic and closed off car markets at the same time. As long as there is transparency in bringing in imports (ie the consumer knows what they are getting), I think this is very welcome.

Back