RTB Watch

Landlord in above case

- I found it shocking the landlord didn't realise the rents weren't being paid.
- Or that nobody visited the property to see if it were being taken care of
- Landlord has found out the hard way that she would have been way better off illegally evicting
- She had an agent/agency that actually suggested she renegotiate the rent with the tenant's despite them being months in arrears, presumably the agency were paid to find those tenant's from hell, and what legal chance does the landlord have in suing the agency as they clearly managed to find just about the worst tenant's ever

Last edited:
- 18,000 € in rent arrears
- 6,000€ damage caused by tenant
- 18 months to get the tenant out
- € unknown legal costs
- 3 noise complaints to landlord, what Ann the landlord didn't realise is that the RTB would make her responsible for the social behaviour of the tenant and they can take her to court to force her to act

That is a shocking story.

Why would anyone be a landlord in this country?

Brendan

I think it would be better to start with a run of the mill case rather that start by looking at decisions that might be considered unreasonable or involving unusual sets of facts.

This case involves a dispute over the return of a deposit.

Timeliness.

First to look at the timelines. The tenant applied to the RTB on 20 Sept. The first hearing was on 19 Dec, so a 3 month wait. The decision was to award the tenant a partial refund of deposit €629.

The tenant appealed on 30 January and a tribunal was held on 18 April, so an 11 week wait. The decision was to increase the partial refund of deposit to €2,032.

It's not 11 weeks. It's 7 months

That poor landlady ( Ann ) . She learned a valuable lesson that I learned 30 years ago. Anyone can have a problem paying their rent for a particular month but if the next months rent is not
paid and a contribution towards the arrears you simply evict them and change the locks.
If the tenant goes to the RTB you will have a war chest from the new tenants as the procedure will obviously take many months.
This is a business and it has to be run like a business. You cannot go into a supermarket and fill your trolley without paying.
One final comment - you will sleep like a baby during the process as you will know that you have done the "right thing"

Back