RTB - Registration and RPZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what if they report you?
Similar with being reported for most crimes really, if followed you you'll be looking at a record and a fine. The legislation allows for up to 6 months prison term, but that's very unlikely for a first offence.

Similar with being reported for most crimes really, if followed you you'll be looking at a record and a fine. The legislation allows for up to 6 months prison term, but that's very unlikely for a first offence.
Where is the crime? You offer a service at set market price. You then grant a mutually agreed discount and get paid the remainder. No crime there, let alone one that would warrant imprisonment.

You tell me. This is the first I've heard of this term and I've been doing this since
My apologies, I thought you were a tax expert.

Look at Section 97 TCA.

Seems pretty clear to me that tax is payable on the contracted rent, unless the relief referenced above applies (which wouldn’t appear to be the case here).

You make an informal agreement to charge a tenant less than specified on the lease, so making them aware that you may increase the actual rent by more than the limits after they leave. They could choose to report you. The 2% limit applies to the rent being charged, not some notional figure.

It is also an offence to fail to provide an accurate notice of rent in writing to a tenant.

I think that would be the ops biggest problem here. Whether the tenant is okay with it or not isn't the issue. The problem is that the rent has already been set and you can't reset it at 500 higher. you could probably give it a go and hope that with the state the RTB are in, they would never notice or have the resources to do anything about it and after a few years the rent would be set at the higher rate for future purposes. But that's a risk you'd have to be willing to take.

Any alteration needs to follow the legislated process including advance notice and confirmation of the new rent in writing.
So if you owe me €1,000 in rent and I want to give you €50 off, it's a crime to do so unless I give you advance notice of the discount and confirmation in writing.

Pull the other one.

So if you owe me €1,000 in rent and I want to give you €50 off, it's a crime to do so unless I give you advance notice of the discount and confirmation in writing.

Pull the other one.
If you want to give me €50 off, that's a change in the agreed rent. The legislation is quite clear.

If you want to give me €50 off, that's a change in the agreed rent. The legislation is quite clear.
I'm no lawyer but if the law is that much of an ass, we're in even bigger trouble than I'd thought.

Where have I made such a claim?
I didn’t say you made such a claim.

It’s just that your strong views on the correct tax position gave me that impression.

Again, my apologies for mistakenly understanding that you were a tax expert.
Just because you can raise an obscure red herring doesn't confer any level of superiority on you.
I’m not sure where this attitude is coming from - I certainly don’t think I am superior to you or anybody else on this forum.

More to the point, I don’t see how this point could possibly be considered a red herring.

The OP could end up paying tax on the contracted rent less deductible expenses, with no relief for the waived rent. Obviously not a good result.

I'm no lawyer but if the law is that much of an ass, we're in even bigger trouble than I'd thought.
The legislation is frames to protect tenants, and giving them certainty of rent is perfectly reasonable in that regard. Even in the case of a reduction, it protects them from a landlord later changing their mind and seeking arrears.

I didn’t say you made such a claim.
Well who did?
It’s just that your strong views on the correct tax position gave me that impression.
What impression.
Again, my apologies for mistakenly understanding that you were a tax expert.
Your problem frankly. I am an accountant with 34 years experience. Probably all worthless, but who am I to judge? Here, you are a nameless nobody.
I’m not sure where this attitude is coming from - I certainly don’t think I am superior to you or anybody else on this forum.
You belittled my level of expertise.
More to the point, I don’t see how this point could possibly be considered a red herring.
Your problem.
The OP could end up paying tax on the contracted rent less deductible expenses, with no relief for the waived rent. Obviously not a good result.
Substance over form.

Last edited:
The legislation is frames to protect tenants, and giving them certainty of rent is perfectly reasonable in that regard. Even in the case of a reduction, it protects them from a landlord later changing their mind and seeking arrears.
If the legislation actually prohibits the granting of a discount, it is eminently unreasonable. Trade discounts are commonplace in business transactions and there's never any question of suppliers changing their mind and successfully obtaining arrears.

Substance over form.
It has nothing to do with form over substance.

The legislation is clear that tax is payable on the contracted rent, less allowable deductions. Tax is not payable on the rent actually received - it is payable on the rent arising under the lease (ie the contracted rent).

There is a relief available where a tenant defaults or where rent is waived to avoid hardship but that wouldn’t appear to be applicable here.

I’m surprised that an accountant with 34 years’ experience wasn’t aware of this but I totally accept that you are not claiming to be an expert.

If the legislation actually prohibits the granting of a discount, it is eminently unreasonable. Trade discounts are commonplace in business transactions and there's never any question of suppliers changing their mind and successfully obtaining arrears.
But we're not talking about business transactions here, tenancies are covered by separate legislation that is quite clear.

The legislation is clear that tax is payable on the contracted rent, less allowable deductions. Tax is not payable on the rent actually received - it is payable on the rent arising under the lease (ie the contracted rent).

There is a relief available where a tenant defaults or where rent is waived to avoid hardship but that wouldn’t appear to be applicable here.

I’m surprised that an accountant with 34 years’ experience wasn’t aware of this but I totally accept that you are not claiming to be an expert.

In theory, could the difference be written off as a gift provided it were under the three grand limit?
In reality I don't think it matters too much to the situation as the rent has been set so it's probably not a viable solution either way, however, I'm just curious.

So if I rent a field off you and the contract says €500 a year but I pay you €5,000, you're only liable for tax on €500?
Red herring
Whatever about getting personal towards me once, your doing so repeatedly suggests something approaching contempt on your part. If I've done something on you to warrant all this, I humbly and unreservedly apologise. If I haven't, do let me know.

Last edited:
Trade discounts are commonplace in business transactions and there's never any question of suppliers changing their mind and successfully obtaining arrears.
This is not vaguely analogous though.

Tenancy legislation is extremely elaborate and restrictive concerning setting and reviewing of tents in a way that is just non-existent for almost all other commercial transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back