RTB - Registration and RPZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not vaguely analogous though.
It's more than vaguely analogous though to the claim that the residential tenancy legislation "protects (tenants receiving discounts) from a landlord later changing their mind and seeking arrears" to which I was responding when I made that observation.

It really isn't, the law governing these areas is quite different. Parties in a commercial contract are free to agree on a discount without the need to complete a prescribed form with 28 days notice.
We know that. But you also claimed, in respect of residential tenancies legislation....
Even in the case of a reduction, it protects them from a landlord later changing their mind and seeking arrears.
... which the widespread use of business discounts in the commercial arena exposes as groundless.

So if I rent a field off you and the contract says €500 a year but I pay you €5,000, you're only liable for tax on €500?
Why would you pay me €5,000 if you’re only contracted to pay me €500? Are you gifting me €4,500?

In any event, the tax code contains provisions to deal with the taxation of premiums (see Section 98 TCA).
Red herring
No, Tommy, it’s not a red herring.

The only problem is that the relief would not be available to the OP if the rent was not received due to a tenant default or a waiver to relieve hardship.
Whatever about getting personal towards me once, your doing so repeatedly suggests something approaching contempt on your part.
I really haven’t been personal towards you.

I initially asked you a question, in the mistaken belief that you were a tax expert, to which you replied “you tell me”.

Again, I fully accept that you never claimed to be a tax expert and I was mistaken in my understanding that you were a tax expert. My apologies, once again.

Why would you pay me €5,000 if you’re only contracted to pay me €500? Are you gifting me €4,500?
It has been known to happen, for example as a rather primitive means of evading tax. Are you still claiming the lower figure is all that's taxable?
In any event, the tax code contains provisions to deal with the taxation of premiums (see Section 98 TCA).
But you claimed that
Tax is not payable on the rent actually received - it is payable on the rent arising under the lease (ie the contracted rent).

Which is it?
I really haven’t been personal towards you.

I initially asked you a question, in the mistaken belief that you were a tax expert, to which you replied “you tell me”.

Again, I fully accept that you never claimed to be a tax expert and I was mistaken in my understanding that you were a tax expert. My apologies, once again.
Your apology is hollow. I don't care. I post here in good faith and without any claim of infallibility. But you today have undoubtedly been both personal and contemptuous towards me. That's your problem frankly.

Parties in a commercial contract are free to agree on a discount without the need to complete a prescribed form with 28 days notice.
Parties to commercial contracts can also generally agree terms that don't legally bind them to a maximum of 2% with third parties in perpetuity.

which the widespread use of business discounts in the commercial arena exposes as groundless.
Whether it happens or not is irrelevant. The residential tenancies legislation is quite clear in terms of the landlord's obligation to provide a written confirmation of rent within the framework set out. What can or can't, does or doesn't happen under commercial contracts does not in any way change that.

Parties to commercial contracts can also generally agree terms that don't legally bind them to a maximum of 2% with third parties in perpetuity.
Absolutely, tenancy agreements and commercial contracts are worlds apart, it really makes no sense to compare them.

Whether it happens or not is irrelevant. The residential tenancies legislation is quite clear in terms of the landlord's obligation to provide a written confirmation of rent within the framework set out. What can or can't, does or doesn't happen under commercial contracts does not in any way change that.
That has been said a number of times here and is uncontested.
Meanwhile. your claim that the apparent ban on rent discounts protects tenants from a risk of landlords later changing their minds and seeking arrears, remains unsubstantiated.

Absolutely, tenancy agreements and commercial contracts are worlds apart, it really makes no sense to compare them.
Nobody compared them. I cited the latter to rebut your claim mentioned in my last comment.

Nobody compared them. I cited the latter to rebut your claim mentioned in my last comment.
You said:
Trade discounts are commonplace in business transactions and there's never any question of suppliers changing their mind and successfully obtaining arrears.
This suggests you are confident that there has never once been a case where a supplier charged a single person any more than an agreed price. That is clearly nonsense, and many posts on here over the years attest to that, from builders and tradesmen charging more than the agreed price to telcos failing to honour agreed discounts or supermarkets charging full price for items advertised as on special offer.

Given it's clear you are not familiar with the tenancies legislation, perhaps you best avoid commenting on same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back