RPZ - current rent way below market value

Immigrant

Hi,

We're accidental Landlords, who left Ireland about 6 years ago. We've have had the same tenant since then. However, he has decided to leave and move back to Spain.

I assume our problem is a common one. He was an excellent tenant, so we only ever increased the rent once. The flat is in a RPZ, in Dublin City Center and would seem to be capable of attracting a rent of between 300-500 more than we current get.

Can I legally get around complying with the 4% rule? Short term let? Are there any options?

Many thanks Thirsty,

I called the RTB, they said, put in a new boiler, new windows, make structural changes etc, a combination of improvements is generally required. Keep the receipts and be able to produce these in the event of a dispute.

Many thanks Thirsty,

I called the RTB, they said, put in a new boiler, new windows, make structural changes etc, a combination of improvements is generally required. Keep the receipts and be able to produce these in the event of a dispute.

Coincidently I need to put in a new boiler in one of my properties. Is that definitely classed as significant work which would allow me to increase the rent by more than 4%?

Assuming you were replacing an existing boiler then no, that would be classed as a repair.

When I asked, it was very clear that a combination of improvements would be required. So if you put in an energy efficient boiler that would be a positive. But you would only know if this was enough if a tenant lodged a dispute. All seems very flimsy to me.

It is not the role of the RTB to give legal advice. If they do so, and in your case they seem to have come close to that, you cannot rely on it.

If the RTB says do ABC and you end up in a dispute, you will be judged on the basis of the law, not on the basis of what the RTB told you.

The law is the law, if you need advice on the meaning of a provision in the law, ask a solicitor.

Back