Roy Keane ?

i'm not complaining about the fans singing - its the fact that the players have the attitude that no matter what happens 'we've the best fans in the world anyway'... wand that Roy keanes point - its the players need the attitude adjustment - NOT the fans.

The quote i read from Andrews, he praised the fans and said they deserved better. To me, that is somone that is admitting the performances have not been good enough, and other players have come out and said the same.

"People seem to have misunderstood me. I've no problems with the fans singing. It's great that they back the team during and before games - but should they really stay on long after the final whistle cheering? "There's a danger that the players think that what has happened on the pitch is acceptable, when it's not."

It's kind of hard to disagree with him really is it not?

"People seem to have misunderstood me. I've no problems with the fans singing. It's great that they back the team during and before games - but should they really stay on long after the final whistle cheering? "There's a danger that the players think that what has happened on the pitch is acceptable, when it's not."

I don't think that because the fans were singing at the end of the match, the Irish players were thinking that a 4 - 0 defeat was acceptable.

Im sure they realise the fans are thanking them for qualifying for the finals in the first place.

While the well paid Delaney is on the beer in Poland, looking for awards for the great Irish fans.....a league of Ireland club in the premier division which would have passed the FAI's licencing tests only a few months ago, has left the league
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/iris...8/325495-monaghan-quit-the-airtricity-league/

I don't know why Keane bothers even to comment on or watch anything soccer related with the Irish...the whole things is 1 big unplanned party where anything that goes well, does so by accident rather than design. And it will always be the same

Maybe if you think the players are plebs MrMan but otherwise I can't see how anyone could agree with him!

Im sure they realise the fans are thanking them for qualifying for the finals in the first place.

Is this not what the last home friendly is for, hence the lap-of-honour after the match and all that sort of malarky?

Thank goodness all those nasty fans, who booed them in Lansdowne Road, aren't in Poland, just the nice ones who sing and clap ;).

Maybe if you think the players are plebs MrMan but otherwise I can't see how anyone could agree with him!

If you take out the fact that it was Roy Keane that made the remarks, then more people might agree. Some people seem predisposed to siding against the man.

i posted earlier, im not criticisng the fans. The issue i have is that some people see ias some kind of achievment or consolation that we have great fans ... its not.

Can't stand Keane myself.

The fans went to Poland and spent their own money which most have worked hard for.

Who does he think he is slagging them off like that.

He got paid to play football, he got paid to manage the teams and now he gets paid to talk on tv and radio.

Tha simple fact of the matter is the fans are there he is not he has some sheek to slag them off.

Can't stand Keane myself.
The fans went to Poland and spent their own money which most have worked hard for.

Did you listen to what Keane said, in context? He wasn't slagging the fans, he was saying they deserve better for their support and should be letting the players know.

I went to 2 qualifying matches but I couldn't afford to go to Euro12. I would personally be seething if I had paid good money to watch that muck.

Trap getting slated by Dunphy there for not lining up some of the key younger players - Roy is right

If you take out the fact that it was Roy Keane that made the remarks, then more people might agree. Some people seem predisposed to siding against the man.

Ah come on MrMan, do you seriously think the players would hear the singing and say, "actually lads we must have done alright tonight, listen to that"? Keane is only making himself look stupid by coming out with comments like that. As others have said, there is a time and a place for the post mortem on the tournament, but for the fans over in Poland it is not the time or place to start getting peed off and booing. They simply want to enjoy themselves and nobody can blame them for that. I certainly don't agree with Keane that the fans should be booing the team over there.
But once the dust settles I definitely think there are hard questions to be asked of the manager. His selection of Cox against Spain was strange. His substitutions have been equally strange - bringing on Cox left wing when we have two left wingers on the bench, bringing on Long but pushing Doyle to right wing, then bringing on Walters and pushing Long out to the right wing - wtf!! Leaving Whelan on when he has looked knackered for the past two games, bringing on Green who has no club instead of Gibson who has been playing regularly in the Premiership - wtf!! So Trap has a lot to answer for and I hope he shows immediate changes for the World Cup Qualifiers, but as I said booing the team off against Spain would have been wrong and therefore Keane was wrong - imho! :D

A thug who walks out on his country, as Keane did in 2002, has zero credibility with me. A proper gurrier if ever there was one.

Some people seem predisposed to siding against the man.

It's funny because I always seen it the other way around. He is a legend for Man Utd fans and I don't think any other irish player would have got the support he got after Saipan.
The problem with Roy is that he just comes across as bitter. The fans can sing if they want. It's nothing to do with him.
Many fans are already voting with the feet for the home matches. The games are not selling out.

Did you listen to what Keane said, in context? He wasn't slagging the fans, he was saying they deserve better for their support and should be letting the players know.

I went to 2 qualifying matches but I couldn't afford to go to Euro12. I would personally be seething if I had paid good money to watch that muck.

In context of what?

Soccer is a game when it becomes something more than a game.

Here is what he said.

“I think the players and even the supporters, they all have to change their mentality, it’s just nonsense from players speaking after the games about how great the supporters are,” he said afterwards.
“Listen, the supporters want to see the team doing a lot better and not giving daft goals away like that. I’m not too happy with all that nonsense. To praise the supporters for sake of it … Let’s change that attitude towards Irish supporters.
“They want to see the team winning – let’s not kid ourselves, we’re a small country, we’re up against it, but let’s not just go along for the sing-song every now and again.”

I don't believe someone like Roy Keane has the right to talk about the mentality of Irish fans.

The fans were there he was not it is that simple.

He had a chance to play for his country and walked out.

He has a cheek!

A thug who walks out on his country, as Keane did in 2002, has zero credibility with me. A proper gurrier if ever there was one.

That clip does not show the whole incident.

After he attacked him he turned and spat on him while he was on the ground in agony.

Then after he was sent off he walked over to him and said, "Take that you ****".

Hero????

Back