Roughly how much to make the following house improvements?

bearaman

Hi All,
I've been thinking of buying a house that's in need of "modernisation" and I'm trying to calculate how much these improvements will cost. I know it's partially dependant on the quality of items purchased but just looking for a rough figure. Here's the list:

• New kitchen
  • New double glazing windows and doors, 5 windows and 2 doors
  • New carpets or wooden flooring
  • Make toilet and bathroom into one i.e. knock wall
  • New fusebox? The one I saw looked ancient.
  • Inject insulation into cavities of all external walls
Any ideas of a price would be welcome?
Also, in your opinion, it is better to buy a house for more money that has all of the above sorted or buy a cheaper place and do the improvements yourself?
Thanks very much,
B.

Kitchen furniture in Kube costs about €1,000 per linear metre for a high quality German-made kitchen. Doesn't include appliances - expect to pay between €2k and €3k for a standard appliance package. Includes laminate worktop.

I work with www.kubeinteriors.com

Hi All,
I've been thinking of buying a house that's in need of "modernisation" and I'm trying to calculate how much these improvements will cost. I know it's partially dependant on the quality of items purchased but just looking for a rough figure. Here's the list:

• New kitchen - Approx €3-5K
  • New double glazing windows and doors, 5 windows and 2 doors - Approx €3-4K
  • New carpets or wooden flooring Approx €2-5
  • Make toilet and bathroom into one i.e. knock wall - you will prob end up replacing some or all extg fittings and retiling approx €3-6K
  • New fusebox? The one I saw looked ancient. Approx €1k - rewire €3-5K
Also, in your opinion, it is better to buy a house for more money that has all of the above sorted or buy a cheaper place and do the improvements yourself?

Bearaman, getting building work can be stressfull and difficult particularly if you are living in the house while work is being done. It is also satisfying to see your hard work when the job is done. You dont seem to know a great deal about what you are doing so I would imagine you would find it more difficult and stressfull.

Best of luck

Hi All,

• New kitchen
  • New double glazing windows and doors, 5 windows and 2 doors
  • New carpets or wooden flooring
  • Make toilet and bathroom into one i.e. knock wall
  • New fusebox? The one I saw looked ancient.
Thanks very much,
B.

A huge factor is where u are based,
in the last 12 months i did some of these jobs,
knock wall of toilet & bathroom & build new door frame --circa €600 but this didnt include new tiling or bathroom units but did include plastering & bonding. (also i brought all rubbish to the council dump in ringsend so no skip cost)
new windows for house (3 bay, & 5 other windows) 4.5k
if u check out different threads on here you'll see u can spend a varying amount on kitchens & (less so) carpets, for what its worth being dublin based i'm planning on going up north for kichens, bathroom stuff, flooring etc etc to avail of cheaper prices & cheaper fx rates!

Back