Rose of Tralee betting

Duke of Marmalade

Paddy Power had a book on the Rose of Tralee. On Monday (before the TV coverage) he was betting 5/1 favourite Miss Dubai, 20/1 Miss Queensland etc. Nothing untoward there.

On Tuesday morning PP was betting 4/7 Miss Queensland, the rest no chance. Miss Queensland hadn't even appeared on Monday night, she was second last to appear on Tuesday night.

Miss Queensland duely won.

Now this is totally extraordinary, somebody somehow knew on Tuesday morning who would win and that was even before she had appeared in the parade ring.

In horse racing this would be a betting scandal subject to high level enquiry.:(

Ha ha, the horse racing authorities would be investigating that one alright!

Did you lose money Duke? You know there is a problem when you are betting on the rose of Tralee!

Ha ha, the horse racing authorities would be investigating that one alright!

Did you lose money Duke? You know there is a problem when you are betting on the rose of Tralee!
I never bet on fillies.:eek:

This happened before in 2006 (coincidentally also on a Queensland rose). I have a bit of experience of betting and there is no way that in a contest like this anyone should move from 20/1 to odds on especially before she has even appeared in the parade ring. I am not in any way claiming dirty work on behalf of Paddy Power but that 2006 link gives examples of Tralee businessmen putting bets of €3,000 on the winner at very juicy odds. The thing stinks.:mad:

I never bet on fillies.:eek:

This happened before in 2006. I have a bit of experience of betting and there is no way that in a contest like this anyone should move from 20/1 to odds on especially before she has even appeared in the parade ring. I am not in any way claiming dirty work on behalf of Paddy Power but that 2006 link gives examples of Tralee businessmen putting bets of €3,000 on the winner at very juicy odds. The thing stinks.:mad:

I agree. The bookies react to money placed. There are obviously leaks.

Funny enough I was just talking about this to some colleagues earlier. I know nothing about the Rose and didn't even watch it but I seen headline in the paper before it started that the Queensland Rose was favourite. When I heard this morning that she won I was wondering how the bookies got it so right. It's not as there is any 'form' to go by like in racing or football.
My initial reaction was that someone in the know must have leaked something to the bookies.

The on-stage piece only makes up a portion of the overall scoring. Chances are she had a good lead going into the show and someone leaked that information.

Finally found a way of making it interesting!!!!

I was looking at the odds whilst the Roscommon girl was on. She had some story about her father cross dressing to move her in from 10/1 to about 4/1. Then she tried to sing Valerie and promptly drifted back to 10/1. Pretty amusing stuff.

John O'Donoghue used to be Minister for Sports, Arts and Tourism

And one year his niece was a Rose.
Kerry Minister with relation in the competition? I cried FIX

She lost and the bookies took my money :eek:

I had heard that the winner was the bookies favourite, so just before the announcement, I checked paddypower and yes she was favourite. I didnt back anyone as I thought anyone of them could win it, I thought maybe even Dublin or Roscommon. Sure the people who know the name in the envelope can still bet online up to the announcement, I think the price was about 5/6 online last night at about 11.10pm.

I have to admit that I watched it all this year, Daithi O'Se did a decent job on it. I think he is pretty dire on that RTE afternoon show, but he is way above recent Rose comperes.

One thing I was wondering, will a Rose from Ireland win again, or does it have to be a foreign Rose to satisfy media and audience?

Also, one Rose spent 7 years in college doing engineering or science or something and just one year studying teaching, she now works as a primary teacher here, it doesnt say much really for teaching if you can do a 9 month course and get a job out of it. what about all the grads with B.Ed's who can't get any teaching work.

The whole thing is a meat market and misogynistic.

I would love it if a married woman took them to the equality tribunal because they would not allow her enter this pageant ahem cattle mart.

I would love it if a married woman took them to the equality tribunal because they would not allow her enter this pageant ahem cattle mart.

Why?

The married women can enter Calor Gas Housewife of the Year :)

Actually, we need to start that going again, haven't seen in probably a decade

Why?

The married women can enter Calor Gas Housewife of the Year :)

Actually, we need to start that going again, haven't seen in probably a decade

No housewives in Ireland anymore, Mic. We've only got home makers now. To make up for the defunct builders and developers, I suppose! ;)

Ha, if there's a petition going you know it'll be on facebook

Come on RTÉ , the people of Ireland demand you bring this back I say

Every women was a goddess in the kitchen. Give them a punt and they'd feed a large family

Get them three or four random ingredients and they'd be like MacGuyver with what they could make with it

"That's a fine cake Bridie" :cool:

Ha, if there's a petition going you know it'll be on facebook

Come on RTÉ , the people of Ireland demand you bring this back I say

Every women was a goddess in the kitchen. Give them a punt and they'd feed a large family

Get them three or four random ingredients and they'd be like MacGuyver with what they could make with it

Lol :D Post of the week!

I entered a competition online where I had to guess the winner of The Rose of Tralee - I checked Paddy Power before guessing, and won!

So thanks Paddy Power :)

Not quite right. The TV ad at the time went:

(Tom Riordan playing the farmer) "that's a grand cake, Nora. You can't beat your own milk and eggs!"

The farmer's wife smiled knowingly. For she knew, as did we, that the cake mix had been bought in the local supermarket.

How we laughed. Then we'd have that ad about fluke and sarcoptic mangemite.:(

God, I miss the 70s.

Back