Rose bushes has just died!

Jessica Derm

I'm sure I looked at my flowers in my south facing front garden last week and all was well. Today I see that my rose bush looks as if it has died and my fern type plant is a brittle and dry as ever. Any advice would be appreciated - are they a lost cause do you think? It's funny how they have transformed in only one week. JD

how has your Rose bush... suddently ..died......had it come to life after the long winter at all?

Have a really good look at them. They may just need a bit of rehab. With the fern - just remove any old brown leaves and give it a good drink of water and that might revive it. Try mulching around the base with fresh compost.
The rose could also do with some feeding and mulching - did you prune it in February? Remove any weeds or grass growing around it, that may be depleting it a bit. Water it also after feeding. Did a dog or cat urinate on them? sometimes this can cause an overnight browning of leaves.

Thank you for your comments.

I'm going out now to have a look and will water and feed them so hopefully they'll be ok. There are a couple of dogs and cats in the area alright and that could be it as you say. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm getting into this gardening lark now...never was into gardening at all but now I'm starting to enjoy it even though some might be dying on me but I'm learning as I go along.

that'll be the cold winter we had .. my passion plant and 3 fuchias died due to the winter weather .. they're selling fuchias in Lidl for Eur1.49 so get yourself some replacements

I posted elsewhere that I thought I had lost 3 fuschia also. But in the the last few weeks they have sprouted again and are looking very healthy. The growth has started from the base again. They are about 4-6 inches high now and coming on well.

Back