Rose bush help

EvenStevens

Registered User
Messages
84
Just need some help. I bought a Nostalgia Rose a few months back and planted it staked in a large deep pot but it’s not doing well. A lot of that white powdery film appearing and holes in petals. I cut off a lot of the leaves with the film but more has appeared . There is however good growth on it since I first bought it. I am watering it and giving it Rose feed regularly but wondering if there’s anything else I should be doing. It wasn’t cheap and I hate to see it fail. Thanks
 
Treatment for white powdery film, probably mildew

You probably need to use an insecticide to kill off whatever bugs are eating your roses, maybe a spray or a systemic one poured into the ground.

Longer term and alternatively, plant marigolds, calendula officianalis, around the place including in greenhouses. It's very healthy to be around and have around plus it attracts aphids & other bugs off other flowers, fruit & veg. This makes it easier for bees wasps & other pollinators to find & eat the bugs. From Diarmuid Gavin at the RHS on the BBC last week.
 
Last edited:
I would not plant that rose in a pot, the whole idea is the roots spread out to harvest as much water as possible. I would take it out of the pot but you have to dig the whole the correct size and use the correct mixture that will encourage the roots to develop. And at the end it is essential you firm the soil down with your foot. And the use of bone meal as a feed is highly recommended. This is what I used to do, peat, compost and bone meal. The john innes compost would be at bottom ie plant sitting in it then fill round the plant with peat and compost. When removing from pot don't disturb the soil around the root. The powdery mixture is caused by dry soil.

why have it in a pot?
 
Last edited:
Agree. Plant it in the ground, no pot. There is a product made by David Austen that you can sprinkle on the roots. It encourages the correct soil microbiology to give strong roots. A rose spray for the leaves problem. I generally find it takes a few years before roses get fully established. Bone meal is good as is rotted manure if you can get any. But some years I don’t apply anything and it doesn’t matter. Don’t give up and remember to prune back well in Autumn, some say by two thirds and I would agree.
 
Thanks all. I had it in a pot as I’m just figuring out the garden at the moment and haven’t decided yet where I’ll put it. I’m pretty new to growing plants etc but thanks for the advice. Maybe I will have to bite the bullet and plant it in the ground
 
Just wondering how your Nostalgia is getting on.

Mine are in full bloom right now.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4815.webp
    IMG_4815.webp
    406.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4725.webp
    IMG_4725.webp
    209.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4721.webp
    IMG_4721.webp
    201.4 KB · Views: 18
Well it’s still in the pot but I have had some blooms which is great. Not quite as impressive as yours which are stunning but the first flower was so beautiful with delicate pinks and white
 
Back
Top