Roscam, Galway City

techman

Looking at buying in Roscam in Galway City and I have seen a few houses for sale in Ros Caoin.

Area looks ok.

Anyone any advice to give on this area and how old would the houses be in Ros Caoin?

Thanks.

hi, I live in Doughiska which is just across the Dublin Road from Roscam. I'd say both Doughiska and Roscam are really nice areas. Roscam is a bit more expensive and quite developed - couple of ghost estates towards the end of the road near the railway crossing too. Not much there in terms of facilities either you'd really need a car, while the Doughiska side has a lot of shops and the no. 9 bus route and a couple of hotels/bars. Sorry I don't know the Ros Caoin estate particularly. We moved to Doughiska in 2002 when the development of the area was really just starting so all the housing estates in Roscam/Doughiska would be 8 years old or less.
hth
Maz

Hi,
was renting in Ros cam just accross road from shops for four years, just moved out last year as rent was a bit high! Have lived in many parts of galway and Ros cam was by far my favorite. I wouldnt agree with the above as the Doughuiska bus stops just at the start of the estate, and there is a bus lane to Duggans on Dublin Road. I had a car but by leaving it at home and taking the bus to gal city each morning it cut my travelling by at least 15 mins. It was also a lovely quiet area. Two on my homemates had moved down from Doughusika-for peace and quiet. This is what i was hit with when i moved out from Gal city-lovely neighbours, lovely walks out the coast road when the weather allowed it or towards town on foot paths when it didnt. The estates are a mixture of youny first time buyers, renters and the older generations who want to move out from the hussle and bussel of the city. However one bad point which used to annoy me-- the houses get cold!! You turn on the gas (on the line) and the house is hot with in the hour however when you turn it off its gets cold very quickly-i'm sure this had something to do insulation!!
The neighbours were lovely as were the locals working in the shops at the end of the estate. Enjoy house hunting!

Hi,

Roscam is nice - well built houses in general (O'Malley). It's near the coast road so nice walks etc. Doughiska in my opinion is a bit of a melting pot - some lovely estates, but some not very nice (in my opinion). Good luck with the search!

Maggs

Lived there for 5 years, new estate behind ros-caoin, Boireann Beag.. Lovely, well maintained good looking estate. Park facilities there-in, local shops and serviced by a good bus route.
As suburbs around Galway go, cant do much better..

Did you buy?

Back