ROS query on filing return for 2022 for rental income

superfan

I was renting my house up until March 2021 and filed a return on ROS last year for rental income I received in 2021. I have no rental income for 2022 so do I need to do anything on ROS this year or can I just ignore it?
Was going to just leave it but thought I'd ask just in case.

As far as I am aware you need to make a return if you are registered for income tax.

You could also de-register for income tax.

You need to fill in the form 11 and just put 0 down for rental income. All the PAYE figures should be pre-populated so all you need is confirm and sign it. Then de-register by email for Income tax for next year. If you don't they may keep pestering you and then possibly audit you. A lot easier to deal with it now. You have about 10 days to file.
Edit to add: You will need to reclaim any non-paye tax credits such as medical insurance in the relevant areas.

You need to fill in the form 11 and just put 0 down for rental income. All the PAYE figures should be pre-populated so all you need is confirm and sign it. Then de-register by email for Income tax for next year. If you don't they may keep pestering you and then possibly audit you. A lot easier to deal with it now. You have about 10 days to file.
Although the ads they run to frighten people might indicate otherwise, there is a vanishingly low chance of someone like the OP being audited for missing a return, unless Revenue have separate intelligence suggesting they're tax dodging or have mysterious sources of income.

For context, a few years ago the average Revenue audit was yielding a tax settlement of circa €70k.

Although the ads they run to frighten people might indicate otherwise, there is a vanishingly low chance of someone like the OP being audited for missing a return, unless Revenue have separate intelligence suggesting they're tax dodging or have mysterious sources of income.
Yep but I did use the words 'may' and 'possibly' but I accept these 'may' have sounded alarming :)

Thanks for the replies folks. When I was renting I was receiving HAP and the rental income section was already filled in so revenue knew I was getting rent but this year that would be zero so I assumed it would be ok to leave it.
I'll get it sorted over the weekend.

Just deregister with effect from 31/12/21. No need to file a return with nothing on it.

Just deregister with effect from 31/12/21. No need to file a return with nothing on it.
do you know which option i should choose to deregister?
1699986973084.png

Back