Rooflights - How much?

Feek

Thinking about putting 1 or 2 rooflights like this in a flat roof of a new extension. [broken link removed]

Anyone know how much they cost?

If expensive are there any alternatives?

Cheers

Hi, that is called orangery style I think, quite expensive as far as I remember. What we ended out doing was, we got Fakro windows (same as Velux except half the price, no joking) and placed them quite close to each other (3 diagonally) a few cm from the top of the roof on either side, same effect so to speak but half the price.

Thanks Abbica,

If I did that I think I would like them long and thin and I had a look at the site but don't see ones that would be suitable.

Do you have a pic of them in situ so I can get a better idea of how they worked out for you?

Would appreciate it loads :)

Yea i have heard before that Fakro were cheaper than Velux. Parents had attic renovated by a builder neighbour and he really recommended Keylite instead of Fakro. He uses them for all jobs and says they are top notch. Looked at the brochure and they had flat roof pics i think. If you google them you will find it.

Sorry for jumping in - just happen to be pricing/installing a roof window also. Seems the keylite windows are pretty much at the same price point as a Velux though, (5-10 pounds sterling between them) the difference being they are made in Ireland (which would be a selling pt for me personally I suppose,) but there's not a lot of €€ saving to be made there.

Are the Fakro a dependable product?

They look good?!

Sorry, I have no pictures of the house as I don't have a digital, I know, prehistoric but on my list of things to buy this year. Fakro could send you out a brochure or just get in contact with a rep re window sizes, tell you over the phone if they have what you require.

Fakro are the same as Velux regarding quality and look, except Velux have the showrooms and the label to go with them, hence the price, that is what the sales rep told me. They just deliver them to us from a factory warehouse so we save on the costs there of company overheads.

I priced Velux for 9 windows and they were going to charge €3,450ish and I priced Fakro and they charged €1,850ish. Rang the man, he said pay up front and we deliver, took 5 days in total from order to delivery to our house, our carpenter put them in for us and that was it. No probs.

5 Days turnaround! That's amazing. The price is something else too. I'll give them a shout.

Am still hankering after the roofobx type though. Anyone know who, what and where for best price on these?

anyone still interested check out for alternative to rooflights.ie they do flat glass for low pitch too.. no affiliation with the company and havn't used their services but am considering
[broken link removed]

We're just about to install some Fakro FTT units. These are triple glazed and come with a u-value of 0.94. In my mind it's worth considering a thermally efficient window if you can afford it at all.
I'm not sure of the exact price as our units are bundled in with a bigger builder job however I do recall getting a quote a while back of 345euro for a unit measuring 660 x 1180mm plus 40Euro for the flashing kit. And there's vat on top of that.

Regards
Fran
ps I've no connection with Fakro

Hi Franm,

How did you fare out with the Fakro windows? Do they look well, am thinking of using them. Is it obvious that they are triple glazed when you look at them?

Thanks,
Mac

To follow up on the outcome of my original query. In the end I put in 3 Velux windows and they have worked out great as the roof is sloping and I don't think the rooflights option would have worked.

I did find a great company for my bi-folding doors who also do rooflights, curtain walls & structural glazing (These were the only company I could find who actually did curtain walls although I didn't go with that in the end) and the doors have turned out great. Check out Futurefold (www.futurefold.com) - no affiliation with the company.

My Fakros seem fine so far, I can't really tell any difference in light between the Velux's that I removed and the Fakros that I put in. Having said that they're only in since November so I've yet to see how they work in summer light. One minor let down was the fact that they have a turn and lock type handle with means that you can't easily open it like you could a velux i.e. using a pole/hook.
I must say though I love seeing the layer of frost on the outside of them these mornings.

Regards
Franm

One minor let down was the fact that they have a turn and lock type handle with means that you can't easily open it like you could a velux i.e. using a pole/hook.

But if they are within reach they are easily openable by hand - right?? I will have one that I will never open and 4 that I will open daily.

Thanks for the comments.
Mac

Sorry to jump in here but I'm looking for a company to manufacture and install an orangery type rooflight - as referred to by one of the earlier posters - in dublin south city. Its approximately 9 ft by 4ft and I'm looking for recommendations for someone who will do the whole job. I have spoken to roofers who will buy rooflights off someone else but I'm concerned about getting caught in a blamegame if there is a problem with the end product - this rooflight connects the original single story cottage and a flat roof extension and the original (wooden) structure is leaking and needs to be urgently replaced.

Any suggestions on companies and or prices greatly appreciated.

thanks

But if they are within reach they are easily openable by hand - right?? I will have one that I will never open and 4 that I will open daily.
No problem at all if you can reach them. In my case though (as they are high up in a vaulted ceiling) I'll have to get out the ladder the odd time just for cleaning purposes.
Regards
Franm

Back