Roof window

MacTheKnife1

Hi - hopefully someone can help...

I am looking for a roof window approx 2m long by 1m wide for installation on a pitched roof (35% pitch).

It will never need to be opened - so I do not need an opening mechanism. In fact it will never be opened cos it is in a high ceiling and would be impossible to open without a large ladder. I would prefer not to have an opening mechanism in fact as I suspect it will be less likely to fail/leak if is a sealed window.

It needs to be energy efficient - so a low U value is required.

Can anyone recommend someone that supplies such windows?

Thanks for any replies,
Mac

Hi Mac. I reckon if you contact Carey Glass in Nenagh- www.careyglass.com -they should be able to advise you as they manufacture the glass units for a huge percentage of all the windows installed in houses in Ireland. I had a peep at the website. There's a section on roof windows and the U values are very low. The phone number is 067 50700. Good luck.

Hi, I installed Fakro FTT (Triple Glaze) units recently and also they are so high up that I will need a ladder to open them. However I'd prefer to be able to do this anyway for cleaning purposes alone. The units are quite thermally efficient with a claimed u-value of 0.94. Also I noticed last week during the cold spell that they were completely frozen on the outside while internally the temperature was around 20 degrees. Which I guess is a good indication that they work.

Regards
Franm
ps no association with Fakro

Hi, I installed Fakro FTT (Triple Glaze) units recently and also they are so high up that I will need a ladder to open them. However I'd prefer to be able to do this anyway for cleaning purposes alone. The units are quite thermally efficient with a claimed u-value of 0.94. Also I noticed last week during the cold spell that they were completely frozen on the outside while internally the temperature was around 20 degrees. Which I guess is a good indication that they work.

Regards
Franm
ps no association with Fakro
I have a double glazed Fakro roof window high up in my kitchen ceiling and it's a very well insulated unit also. I think it's filled with argon gas. They're very like Velux windows, are a little bit cheaper and my builder reckons that they're easier to install. The biggest one they make, as far as I can see from their website, www.fakro.com , is 114cm x 140cm. I'm not sure if that'd be big enough for Mac or not but, if it is, I'd recommend it highly.
My one is 114cm x 118cm, is north facing and still throws in a huge amount of light into the kitchen.

Many thansk for the replies. Like the Fakro recommendation. That must be triple glazing to have frost on outside of window and 20 degrees inside?

Many thansk for the replies. Like the Fakro recommendation. That must be triple glazing to have frost on outside of window and 20 degrees inside?
Triple glazing would definitely be the best option for you, I reckon. I think most experts nowadays recommend that all north facing windows should be triple glazed, with a minimum of double glazing on south facing ones.

more important than triple glazing (or as important) is that when they are fitted, that they put insulation (expanding foam stuff works well) around the enclosure. i was told that you lose more heat through the area just round the window (through badly fitted windows) than through the windows themselves. We just had the lads with the thermal imaging cameras round and tis definitely true (the space round our new windows is better than the old ones even though they are from the same company - different people fitted them)
anon473

anon - great advice. Will take great cvare with this.

Lex - agree aboutt eh triple glaze to north side. Am wondering that the price difference between velux double glaze and Fakro triple glaze. Is there a big discrepancy in price? Will my builder jack up the price if I suggest a swap in my spec?

Get the u values for both triple and double glazing, i have been informed by manufacturers that the difference in u value between them is minimal (i stand to be corrected) and that triple glazing is more for sound and that it costs double the price of double glazing.

I would definately consider having a laminated pane on the outside for extra safety. I have 13 velux windows in my house for 10 years now and not ever a single bit of trouble. (no connection just a satisfied customer)

anon - great advice. Will take great cvare with this.

Lex - agree aboutt eh triple glaze to north side. Am wondering that the price difference between velux double glaze and Fakro triple glaze. Is there a big discrepancy in price? Will my builder jack up the price if I suggest a swap in my spec?
I'm not sure about the difference in price, Mac. I don't know where you're living but if you ring Irish International Trading in Cork (no connection), they'll give you a price for the Fakro window, a price that'll be similar to that from a Fakro supplier in your area. They're suppliers of same and that's where I got mine. Their no. is 021-4705800. I have 5 Velux windows in my house also and they're also superb windows. You'll get a price for them from most builders suppliers in your area.

Back