Roof insulation

Xsue

I've just had a quote of €15k (supply only) for sheeps wool insulation for the roof and upstairs stud walls of a 3,300sq ft house (upstairs area:1,475 sq ft) I think this sounds really steep. Has anybody any experience of this type of insulation or can you recommend an alternative? or Hemp???

90-100/m2 is very very high, have you tried some of the bigger insulation companies ( U Value, Energy Saver) they should be more competitive.

I used this type of insulation in a semi self build recently, and found it to be a little expensive alright, but am glad I used it now.
I tried looking into other alternative materials, but couldn't get the necessary info before I had to decide.
There were two suppliers of the sheepswool that I was in touch with, sheepswoolinsulation and ochre wool teo. the latter seemed cheaper, and came in bales as oppossed to rolls, but I ended up purchasing from the former, again because I just had to, if you know what I mean.
If you're putting it in yourself, its a breeze compared to rock wool, its pretty good at what its meant for, and its sustainable too.
Still have a bit to roll out, but all in good time I say.
Have you looked into the blown insulation material made from recycled paper, had it recommended to me on a couple of occassions, and sems worth looking into. Only drawback is that its loose and therefore wouldn't be suitable for spaces you might be in and out of.
Good luck with it anyroad.

I used sheepwool for my self build in December of last year (from sheepwool insulation ltd) & it cost me €6200 supply only for a 2,200 sq ft area (as mine is a bungalow thats 2,200 sq ft of attic space). So yours does sound expensive - can prices have gone up by that much in 9 months? That price was for 240mm of insulation (approx. 9") about the max you can fit between the joists.
It is easy stuff to work with & seems to work very well so I'd shop around if I were you.

Thanks for your suggestions, this quote is from Sheepwool Insulation! and includes filling in stud walls but still that's a huge difference between yours Duffman, and mine. Like you, P.Ranks I am in a rush too as the plasterer is lined up and ready to go. Panic!

i just did a quick calculation with 150mm of sheepswool between joists in a typical roof construction (assuming a conductivity value os 0.354.. the best i could find, by the way).... and this gives a u-value of 0.22.... where it should be 0.16....

by my calculations you would need at least 225mm (9") of sheepwool to comply with the regs for insulation at ceiling level

the quote was for 300mm premium for ceiling and 100mm premium for stud walls...i did say to them i wanted more than just regulation requirements..

duffman did you insulate any stud walls...?

No - only rolls of attic insulation. To be exact, I bought 85 rolls of 100mm @ €25.10 each & 102 rolls of 140mm @ €25.28 each. Totalled €6200 including VAT.
If you are buying the same stuff & are being charged significantly more than this then I'd question the difference.

Have you considered wood fibre insulation in the roof. Higher u values compared to sheeps wool and breathable. Theres a crowd in Athboy called Ecological Building Systems to whom I have no connection but I found them very helpful

Hi Guys, Sorry if I am repeating queries already answered but I am desperately seeking urgent advice on roof insulation and cannot find a direct answer from the search I conducted. As part of my house renovation/ extension I am having a complete new roof fitted and the attic converted. The builder has included rock wool insulation and has asked today if we want to upgrade to Kingspan or something else. Its a large area but I don't want to save a little money now to regret the saving later. Floor area of the attic would be about 1400 sq ft.I have no idea of the price of either materials so would appreciate any advice available. Thanks a lot.

Back