Roof angle

CubicYard1

Hi,

What implications does the roof angle have on a new 2 story build ?
We want an angle of 30+ degrees but may have to make do with 25 degrees. I suppose there will be less room in the attic for tanks etc
Is there an insulation/drainage issue ? Rain will drain more slowly on a lower angle and perhaps rain/wind can penetrate tiles easier with a lower angle.

Any comments welcome.
CY1

Hi,

What implications does the roof angle have on a new 2 story build ?
We want an angle of 30+ degrees but may have to make do with 25 degrees. I suppose there will be less room in the attic for tanks etc
Is there an insulation/drainage issue ? Rain will drain more slowly on a lower angle and perhaps rain/wind can penetrate tiles easier with a lower angle.

Any comments welcome.
CY1
The danger is wind pushing the rain up under the tiles and capillary action under the tiles. Talk to your roofer about whether you need to counter-batten the roof.

(I presume you are using slates of some sort? AFAIK, this isn't a problem with concrete tiles, just with slates).

Because of our climate a pitch of 30 degress is a minimum for slates, especially in exposed or coastal areas. Depending on the manufacturer a concrete roof tile may be acceptable at 27 degrees, but this would have to be confirmed by them and referece made to an Irish Agrement Certificate for the product in question.

I rang a roofer and he reckons 25 degrees is fine for slates and tiles. There are certain things that need to be done (more overlap on slates etc) but that its no problem.

I rang a roofer and he reckons 25 degrees is fine for slates and tiles. There are certain things that need to be done (more overlap on slates etc) but that its no problem.

Fine, if he can show you an Irish Agrement Certificate or technical literature from the manufacturer of the product to substantiate his claim.

most slates and tiles can go to 22.5 deg....

theres even a proprietary slate that will go to 15 deg.

The advice I had from Tegral for my 23 degree bit of roof was to batten & counterbatten and increase the overlap of the slates; they were happy to guarantee that.

Mind you, just in case it didn't work, we felted underneath the 23 degree bit.

Back