Rome Ideas?

RabHab

Hi All,

My gf and I are flying to Rome on the 16th of Sept for 10 days and would love any tips for how best to use our time?

We are thinking 10 days is a lot for one city so are open to travelling outside if there is something really worth the visit.

Thanks,

A trip to Pompeii would use up a whole day, I think it takes about 3 hours to get there, you have to change trains in Naples, so you could maybe have a look round there ( we didn't go out of the train station at Naples so no idea what the place is like but the train station was rough!)

Dont to Pompeii as a day trip from Rome. You want to be there as early as possible to avoid the incredible heat that builds during the day. We were there in December and it was sweltering even then by early afternoon. Worth a visit though. If you're down that way it would be a shame not to visit Amalfi/Positano/Sorrento etc.

Take a bus out to the Appian Way and walk the actual cobblestones that Caesar and legions walked on.

Visit the church and see the footprint of This post will be deleted if not edited immediately Christ - Domine Quo Vadis : The church built on the site where St. Peter finally found his mettle on Rome's Appian Way.
http://www.reidsguides.com/italy/destinations/lazio/rome/sights/quo_vadis.html

Visit the Catacombs near the Appian Way.

Walk both ways on the Appian Way............. You can walk back to the walls of Rome (ie) Porta San Sebastiano via (Church (Coffee Shops beside it, Catacombs and a Circus (Maximun) which you can walk around and get a great idea of the scale on these, and then take a bus if tired or walk further back in.

Last edited:
Hi All,

My gf and I are flying to Rome on the 16th of Sept for 10 days and would love any tips for how best to use our time?

We are thinking 10 days is a lot for one city so are open to travelling outside if there is something really worth the visit.

Thanks,

10 days is a long time for Rome but it will mean you can do the city at your leisure and savour it more. After you have done the Vatican, museums and Sistine chapel, you can catch the Pope's outdoor ceremony on a Wednesday. Check the AAM threads about the Vatican museum for when is best to visit. You can get a Rome pass which will get you free and cheap access to museums and travel on buses and trains. You can travel out to Ostia Antica which apparently rivals Pompeii for Roman ruins. Other daytrips include Tivoli for gardens and villa of Roman Emperors. In Rome, the newly opened tombs under the St. Peter's are supposedly worth visiting. You need to book in advance [broken link removed]. Also, off the "Rome in a day" trips are the catacombs and the Baths of Caracala. Villa Borghese is also a must see. Have agreat trip. Rome is fab and not that expensive to eat in. Slim

sistine chapel can be crazy this time of year, I really didn't enjoy it as it was just too crowded, however the Map Room on the way into is spectacular

You can climb to the top of the dome at St Peters, but be aware that once you start there is no real place to stop, you can't turn back and the dome roof makes you bend over so you need to be fit. Best views of Rome though

sistine chapel can be crazy this time of year, I really didn't enjoy it as it was just too crowded, however the Map Room on the way into is spectacular

You can climb to the top of the dome at St Peters, but be aware that once you start there is no real place to stop, you can't turn back and the dome roof makes you bend over so you need to be fit. Best views of Rome though

I thought I was going to die in that stairway!!! Mrs. Slim was wondering how they would get the body out!!

Take a trip to the Roman hills. Very nice, and easy to get to. A trip by train to Florence is an option. The train goes from Rome Termini to Central Florence station, and you can pretty much walk out and visit all the sights from there. Train takes about 1.30 hours or so.

In Rome walk up the Castel St Angelo, an incredible fort near the Vatican and on the Tiber. Great views across Rome, a few bars and resturants up there too.

Take a trip to the Roman hills. Very nice, and easy to get to. A trip by train to Florence is an option. The train goes from Rome Termini to Central Florence station, and you can pretty much walk out and visit all the sights from there. Train takes about 1.30 hours or so.

In Rome walk up the Castel St Angelo, an incredible fort near the Vatican and on the Tiber. Great views across Rome, a few bars and resturants up there too.

Definitely agree re Castel St Angelo. You can easily spend a few hours wandering about.
Depending on your age, entrance to the Castel, and many other sites in Rome are free if you are over 65.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. looks like theres lots to do. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay? open to all suggestions

Cheers

Has anyone mentioned Opera? Why not enjoy one?
Even if you truly hate it you can always say you experienced an Italian opera!
............................................................................................Then tick it off your what to do before I die list;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. looks like theres lots to do. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay? open to all suggestions

Cheers

If you search for Rome on this site you will find many suggestions on accommodation.

The Segway tour around central Rome is fabulous - worth every cent of the €75. [broken link removed]

You can travel out to Ostia Antica which apparently rivals Pompeii for Roman ruins.

this is absolutely worth doing. From memory you get the one train from Termini which only takes 30-40mins and Ostia Antica is unbelievably well preserved...definitely worth the trip.

Back