Roman Blinds - inside or outside recess

CD2005

Hi,
Just looking at getting roman blinds for a sitting room. We're not putting curtains over them, will we make them for inside the recess or outside?

Thanks

IMHO outside would look very strange. How will you cater for the windowsill jutting out? A curtain pole holds the curtains out from the wall whereas the fitting for blinds does not.

Surely the original poster means inside or outside the vertical recess of the window? The former sounds better to me.

Yes i did mean the vertical of the window. A few people have mentioned that if your not putting up curtains (which we're not) then the window looks "dressed" when the blind outside the recess.
Just looking for other opinions.

Thanks

Doesn't sound that elegant to me but I'm no style guru! Would it not look odd (a) inside the house to have the blind overlapping the wall to the left/right of the window recess and (b) from the outside with the blind further back from the window than it would be if fitted inside the recess?

Personally I don't think roman blinds look right outside the window recess either. I would choose to use blinds instead of curtains mainly to give the impression of more space in a room especially if the window has a deep recess.

I beg to differ (that roman blinds dont look good on the outside). I quick google shows lots of examples

I suppose that’s why they have vanilla and chocolate...

Have both roman blinds fitted to inside and outside of window recess.
Have fitted them on outside on smaller windows as they can look a bit pokey and on inside on larger windows. Fitted neatly on the outside they tend to keep out more light when dropped.

Its all down to personal preference.

It is very difficult to keep light out if the roman blinds are inside the reveal. We have them throughout, all outside the reveal. I don't know what the objection to this is - in most cases curtains are outside the reveal - why would it be any different with roman blinds?

J2K

Just an update guys.

Got the blinds outside the recess fitted the other week and i'm very pleased with how they look, if they were inside i definatley think i would need to have put some sort of curtains on the windows.

Back